𝟎𝟑𝟏. 𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧

HEY COUSIN
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter thirty-one,
Gilmore Girls — Season Two

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter thirty-one, Gilmore Girls — Season Two

September 10th, 2001

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ LUCY'S POV ]

     A MARCHING ARMY OF CHILDREN WALK INTO THE DINER, and it's far too early in the morning for me to be listening to their whining and begging. The only amusing part of all this is that Taylor is dressed in a ridiculous outfit that would make people's heads turn.

     Dad is annoyed, as anyone would be if some rowdy kids stormed into their place of work. Taylor doesn't appreciate the our daily death stares, but I'm prepared for the reign of terror he's about to inflict. "Have some respect— These boys just completed the first leg of their outdoor-survival training."

     "Meaning you had them sit under a tree and glue rocks together for two hours," Dad comments, and I chuckle.

     "You're a very jaded man, Luke. What happened to you as a child?"

     "Some creepy guy in shorts and knee-socks tried to sit me under a tree and glue rocks together for two hours." I look Taylor up and down, taking a moment to admire the outfit.

     One of the children lift up the plastic covering for the doughnuts, and I slap two hands on the counter. "Put that down."

     "Otherwise you're going under it," Dad adds, stepping next to me to defend me from satan's spawn of children.

     "I won't fit," the kid argues, and I laugh.

     "Oh, yes, you will."

     Lorelai is standing behind the children, and I feel somewhat bad. "Doughnuts, please!"

     "We were here first!" one child argues.

     "On the planet?" The child looks confused, and I'm glad Lorelai silenced him for a second. "You lose!" She turns back to me and Dad and begins spitting out her order for doughnuts before these children beat her to it.

     But then the telephone rings to my pleasure, and the children groan. "Shut up," I shout just as Dad picks up the phone.

I don't know who is calling, but from the tone Dad uses, he's not thrilled to hear from this person. "Yeah, I'm working. What do you think I'm doing?" He leans against the counter, agreeing and listening to whoever it is while I move to grab Lorelai's order.

     "Can I have one?" one child asks, and I stare down at him.

I put on my fakest smile and say, "No, they're filled with sugar, and if you eat too much sugar, you'll blow up and die."