𝟎𝟑𝟕. 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐡𝐚𝐢 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞

SHANGHAI PART ONE
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter thirty-seven,
Gilmore Girls — Season Two

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter thirty-seven, Gilmore Girls — Season Two

December 20th, 2001

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ LUCY'S POV ]

IS IT TOO LATE TO BACK OUT?

I say that, not my Dad. Me! For the past week, I was waiting for my dad to call this off, to say that he didn't want to go anymore, but he's been so ready for this day. I mean, he even bought a new tie just for tonight while I was wearing a dress that belonged to Addy as shopping for a new outfit made me feel physically sick.

Now we stand in front of the awfully large door to the Dugray house, and my palms sweat against my dress as I try to compose myself.

Everything is going to be fine. Just go in there, be polite, smile, hand them the stupid bottle of wine and thank them for inviting you. It's not that hard, Lucy, just do it.

God, I'm insane. Meeting my boyfriend's parents and extended family shouldn't be this hard, right? I mean, there's worse things to worry about like the world ending or Kirk not getting his breakfast in the morning. This is low level, non-panic worthy stuff. I'm just being silly. All is going to be fine. Right?

Somebody tell me to calm down.

I look at my dad again, watching as he taps his foot against the concrete, ready and waiting for me to be ready. How is Dad so calm? He also has to meet Tristan's crazy rich parents with the crazy rich house and the crazy rich furniture. How is he calmer than me? It makes no sense.

"Lucy, this was bound to happen sooner or later." I'd prefer later, like seventy years later. "It's not going to be as bad as you're imagining it to be."

"You're right, it's going to be much worse."

     Dad then chooses that moment to step forward for the doorbell but I yank him back, my hand clutched around his arm in fear. "Not yet!"

     Dad turns to me, his face visibly annoyed, and I smile innocently, continuing to hold onto my dad's arm like a lost kid. "Luce, you're seventeen-years-old. Get off my arm, and suck it up."

     I sigh, slowly freeing my dad's arm. "But what if—"

     "No buts," he interrupts, finally leaning forward to ring the doorbell. "Now, it's going to be okay."

"I don't like this zen version of you. Can I have the real you back, please?" I beg quietly just as the door swings opens. I clamp my mouth shut, my eyes widening when I see there's somebody at the door— a maid. Hmm. Okay. Since when did they have a maid? I've been here... like, twice, and they never had a maid then. Okay, whatever, this isn't a big deal at all. Calm down.