Part 45: Latvia

This notable plane crash takes us to the European country of Latvia, which is located next to the following countries: Estonia, Russia, Belarus and Lithuania.

WARNINGS OF A PLANE CRASH

Pictured above is a similar type of aircraft to the one involved in the crash

On the 4th of September 2022, a chartered Cessna 551 business jet registered in Austria was scheduled to fly from Jerez-La Parra Airport (IATA: XRY, ICAO: LEJR), Spain to Cologne Bonn Airport (IATA: CGN, ICAO: EDDK), Germany, early in the flight after takeoff, the aircraft's pilot notified air traffic control about a cabin pressure malfunction, after the aircraft passed the Iberian Peninsula, no further contact could be established.

The aircraft involved in this accident, registered as Oscar Echo- Foxtrot Golf Romeo (OE-FGR), was first flown in 1979, the aircraft, which climbed to it's assigned altitude at 36,000 feet (11,000 metres), slightly turned near Paris and Cologne, where it failed to make a landing and continued straight on it's northeastern course, flying over Germany and then out for almost two hours and 1,120 kilometres (700 miles; 600 nautical miles) over the Baltic Sea near Denmark and Sweden, fuel was eventually exhausted when the aircraft was over the Baltic Sea, approximately 37 kilometres (23 miles; 20 nautical miles) off Ventspils, Latvia and crashed into the water in a spiral dive after an uncontrolled descent.

According to news reports, contact with OE-FGR was lost shortly after takeoff fron Jerez, according to the Flight Management System, the autopilot brought the aircraft up to 36,000 feet (11,000 metres) and continued the journey via Poitiers, Paris, Luxembourg and onto Euskirchen, in Euskirchen, the pilot apparently had planned to take over for final approach into Cologne (3:50pm UTC), since the pilot was apparently unconscious, the plane continued in a straight line for the next 1 hour 41 minutes (5:36pm UTC) on a course of 54 degrees, the Cessna then started descending and turning to the right on a course of 116 degrees, seemingly headed for an approach at Ventspils International Airport (IATA: VNT, ICAO: EVVA), it is probable that instead the right engine failed and a change of course was initiated, about 3 minutes later (5:39pm UTC), the left engine also failed, as OE-FGR continued to fly straight forward at 116 degrees before starting to lose speed and altitude (5:40pm UTC), eventually crashing (5:42pm UTC) in the Baltic Sea.

The summary of the crash was that the aircraft crashed into the sea, the crash is still under investigation.