Part 94: Queensland

This notable mid air collision takes us to the state of Queensland, which is located next to the following states a and territories: New South Wales, Northern Territory and South Australia.

WARNINGS OF A MID AIR COLLISION AND A HELICOPTER CRASH

Pictured above is the helipad at Sea World.

On the 2nd of January 2023, two Eurocopter EC130s collided mid air and crashed near sea world theme park in the city of Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, the collision killed four people and injured eight, three of which were critically injured.

On the 2nd of January 2023, at approximately 1:59pm AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time), two helicopters operated by Sea World Helicopters collided mid air at about 130 feet above ground, whilst one was attempting to land and the other departing from a helipad at Sea World theme park, both helicopters were undertaking tourists trips for park goers along the Gold Coast Broadwater, although the operator is not associated with the theme park.

Less than a minute after takeoff, the departing helicopter (VH-XKQ) collided with the arriving helicopter (VH-XH9), this resulted in the departing helicopter's main rotor blades and gearbox separating, causing the helicopter to crash on a sandbar, killing four on board including the pilot and leaving three in critical condition, the arriving helicopter was able to stabilise itself after the collision and successfully perform an emergency landing on the same sandbar with substantial damage, all six on board survived without critical injury with five of the six survivors on the arriving helicopter suffering minor glass shrapnel wounds from the shattered cockpit windshield, many members of the public witnessed the collision with beach goers, boaters and nearby police attending the scene to provide first aid and free injured passengers from the helicopter.

All nine survivors were taken to hospital for further treatment; eight were transported to Gold Coast University Hospital and one was transported to Queensland Children's Hospital, the three critically injured survivors were on the departing helicopter and included a 33 year old women and her 9 year old son and a 10 year old child, the four who died were a 40 year old pilot, a 36 year old women and a British couple, aged 65 and 57, Sea World Helicopters Pty Ltd, the operator of the two helicopters involved, closed until further notice after the incident and have since re-opened using the Eurocopter AS350 Écureuil (VH-SWL and VH-SWX).

The summary of the crash was a mid air collision, it is still under investigation as to what casued the collision.