Are You My Hockey Match?

[ ALSO ON AO3 ]

woops sorry for the angst rajbow nation so have BABY RAJBOWW WOO !!

Lightning takes his little brother, Bowie, to his first hockey match to socialise, ending in a curious google search.

________________

"Why do we have to be here again?"

"Dad said you have to social..ing? Sosha.. Soch...."

"Socialising."

"Yeah whatever that fancy sha-lising thing is." Lightning rolled his eyes.

Lightning took his little brother, Bowie, to watch one of the hockey matches for kids his age. Bowie didn't really know how socialising really worked, or hockey. Socialising is just talking - but to people who aren't himself. And hockey was..? Sounded like the opposite of basketball.

He saw the amount of kids his age scattered around the arena with family members and friends, all waiting eagerly for the game to begin. The chatter was ecstatic between the children.

"Have you seen the way Keith skates? He's a super pro!"

"But he isn't the captain like Wayne! He's so cool."

"And the alt-captain of course! Rajesh is so fast!"

As the kids behind the two continued to ramble, the lights brightened slightly and the crowd of children went crazy. The arena was only small for a children's hockey match, but Bowie and Lightning got good seats by the front of the glass so they could see everything.

Once again, the children screamed as the announcer began speaking,

"Welcome to tonight's heated semi-finals! We welcome onto the rink.."

A line of children around his age skated out onto the rink in dark green jerseys and grey shorts patterned with a hissing snake.

"The Horned Vipers!" Half of the crowd cheered as they positioned themselves on the rink.

"And our opposing team.."

Another set of kids danced across the ice in white jerseys sprinkled with a sunny yellow and bluish-navy shorts, with an owl imprinted on the front.

"The Snow Owlets!" Bowie clapped and so did Lightning, they just assumed to be cheering for this team.

By now, the teams had lined up ready to play and awaited the blow of the whistle.

"Is this thing gonna start..?" Bowie yawned.

"Sha-start the game!" Lightning sighed and looked down at his brother who'd folded his arms and looked pretty uninterested as the tension grew stronger.

He slightly jumped when the whistle was blown and the loud smacks of hockey sticks collided with the hard ice and the sharp skates clashing to the ground. Wow, that team was good! In particular, 2 boys would take the puck extremely far down the rink as if they were programmed to.

"I told you! Wayne and Raj are star players!" A kid behind Bowie said. Wayne and Raj?

By now, the other team were too tired to skate fast enough to grasp the puck and not before long the two had scored multiple times as the young crowd cheered.

"These kids show more teamwork than that damn villain team." Lightning sighed

"The what?"

"You're too young to know."