Chapter Four: War Stories and Who Gets the Glory

The pub was far too loud for Celeste's liking. She preferred quiet, and everything around her seemed to flick a nerve in her system.

She could hear the television, explaining the recent Quidittich cup wins, the wizards around her cheering and booing, and then there was the group she sat with.

Grim had gone home already, declaring he'd see Celeste tomorrow. Grandma Andromeda kissed her cheek and announced she'd be leaving, causing Teddy to jump up to escort her home. She shooed him away, and left. Fizzy was next, as the little house elf was clearly not having fun and struggling with saying her farewells even if it was only for a month that they'd be apart.

Celeste wrapped the crisps on the table in a napkin, handed it to Fizzy begging her to eat when she got home. Fizzy had her own account in the Auclair family vault at Gringotts so she would be taken care of for the month Celeste was gone and Andromeda promised to check in on her, she still worried. She kissed Fizzy's head, hugged her tightly, murmuring she'd be home in a few hours and watched as the little elf still dressed in black apparated away.

James Potter had decided to stay for as long as his cousin, Victoire Weasley did. Which even though Celeste didn't love that Teddy invited him, she did appreciate James for keeping everyone entertained.

Now if only he would stop looking at her like that, as if he had seen her naked before. He had, but that wasn't the point. It had been subtle at first. His hug was tighter and longer than it had been the last time, his fingers brushing her spine. Then he had complimented the color of the dark maroon long sleeve she was wearing, his eyes lingering on the sweetheart neckline for a second too long. At first she wondered if she forgot to disillusion the gold chain of her time turner, it was always tucked underneath her shirt as she never parted with it. But that wasn't it, the only one who could see it was her and Teddy. Then he wouldn't stop talking to her, she could hardly speak to anyone else. Any moment she could get to not be monopolized by him, she would jump for.

"Come on, where is this trip that the Ministry is sending you on?" James said, leaning on the standing table they were all circled around. Teddy was grabbing another round of drinks.

"I wouldn't be a very good Unspeakable if I spoke about it, James."

"At least tell me they've paid for a hotel room that leaves little chocolates on your pillow." Victoire laughed and it sounded like bells ringing and birds chirping. It made Celeste smile.

"Victoire, has anyone told you that you laugh like a Disney princess?" Celeste spent much of her formative years befriending all the Americans she was surrounded by at school, many of which were born to no-majs. She had just as much understanding of non-magic culture as she did of wizarding culture. She felt like the wizarding world was slowly trying to mesh and assimilate.

Pieces of her missed Massachusetts, she wanted to go back. Maybe stop in New York and research time at the Magical Congress, if they would let her. They let Al and Nick come do their research with them, she just needed to prove herself first.

"What kind of a princess is a Disney?" Teddy said as he returned, bringing over four glasses. Two were filled with alcohol, which was for Victoire and James. James definitely didn't need more but he eagerly sipped it. The other two glasses were water, which was for Celeste and himself. He held onto his tightly.

"It's a no-ma... I mean, it's a muggle thing. Fuck, you'd think after a year I'd stop using American vernacular and return to my English roots." Celeste noted.

"Ah but we are also French, those are the only true roots that matter." The Weasley girl said with a smile. Celeste often forgot that Victoire was also French, born to Fleur Weasley and all. She simply raised her glass and clinked it to the beautiful blonde's.