Chapter Five: Bad Timing and Excuses

"You look exhausted," Grim observed. "Late night?" He secured her assignment file, including the old and new written prophecy, signed permission to use the Unspeakable's Ministry vault at Gringotts, and his debrief for the 1892 Department of Mysteries. Lastly, he pressed in a clipping of Celeste and Teddy after their first mission that had been posted in the Daily Prophet last year.

It was the announcement of an Auclair stepping into the light and working at the Ministry of Magic. Her face was lifeless in the moving picture, but the blue-haired boy next to her looked ecstatic. Grim smiled and secured the elastic band around the file to keep the loose paper from falling out. She hadn't noticed he slipped that last bit in, the clipping, and he hoped she didn't throw it away with how irritated she looked every time he asked where Teddy had been. Grim wanted it to be a lack of sleep and not her partner that was causing this reaction.

Celeste knew Teddy wasn't coming. That was the problem. "No, I just want to get this over with." She said desperately.

Grim walked over to her, pressing his lips hard in concentration. He was trying to be careful with his words. "It's okay if you couldn't sleep last night. You know you could tell me." He packed the file into the brown leather pouch he had previously charmed with an extension. She had clothes, books, cigarettes, a diary, and what looked like four tubes of toothpaste all tossed in.

He gave her a look that said, no way and her face responded with I am the new chosen wielder. I want fluoride.

Point taken. He backed off. He was sure no one from the 19th century would rifle through her things looking for oral care. "Are you sure you're okay?" He pressed again. They were in the time room, every wall covered in a different clock. Two other Unspeakables, who worked primarily in the prophecy hall, stood in the corner to bear witness and record her consent and rules. She clearly didn't want to talk about the events of last night in front of them.

"I spent the rest of my night with Fizzy, and it was hard to say goodbye. That's all." There was a long pause as she adjusted her attire. She wore what all Unspeakables wore upon their entrance into an old or new timeline: a plain, long black cloak. It was the standard until the Ministry of whatever timeline they were in provided clothes. Grim seemed silent, messing with a few clocks in the room. "Grim, I'll come back to you. You know that, right? I guess you're on my list or something."

He looked at her like the small dose of affectionate words took him aback. He was also confused by the concept of a list. "Yeah... yeah, of course, I know that. You have many people that need to see you in a month."

Not many, but him and Fizzy? Yes. And it wasn't a month. Not for her, at least.

"A year, for me, but-..." She didn't know where she was going with the statement, but it looped back to where she didn't want it to. Who she didn't want it to. "Take care of Teddy for me."

"He'll come."

"He won't, and if I don't come back - can't come back - I need you to do something for me. Make sure he..." There was no loop to tie back to for this one because she realized she was talking like she was scared. She didn't like to look afraid. "Never mind. I'll be back to do it myself." She secured the leather pouch and looked at Grim expectantly.

It was clear. It was time to go.

"Oh, are you ready right now?" He asked. She pulled her father's pocket watch out of the deep pocket of her cloak and studied it. 12 pm. The time they had previously agreed she was leaving, there was no reason not to continue. She felt her heart hammering against the ancient magic stone that she kept pressed against the skin of her chest.

"Ready." She whispered. Grim looked at the door as if he assumed Teddy would be here by now. He turned back and nodded, his eyes full of a furious endearment for her. He was proud.