5

Anntonia

Day One

––––––––

I should've never agreed to this arrangement ...

I was still glaring at Michelle as she glared at me. I was tempted to leave her and her ridiculous business dealings behind, but my pride wouldn't let me. That, and the promise of ending my employment contract.

If she were my real fiancée, I would let my guard down and tell her that I was still feeling upset about how our engagement leaked to the press before I was able to spin a believable story to my coworkers. I would tell her about all the hurtful, "She's not even that cute," and "She's dated hotter women than her," posts from strangers I'd seen on social media. How I felt completely unprepared and overwhelmed by being thrust into the sudden spotlight with someone who was beyond used to handling it.

The only silver lining in all this was that my parents hardly ever watched the news or read magazines. I was clinging to the hope that they wouldn't find out about this charade until it was long over.

"Ladies and gentlemen who are assigned to Flight 6715, we are about to begin the boarding process here at GATE A17."

I pulled my boarding pass out of my pocket and stared at the massive engagement ring on my left hand. I shook my head every time I looked at it because it was so over the top, gaudy, and unlike anything I'd ever consider wearing. It was a four-carat diamond ring with glittering tiny pink diamonds stuffed onto its double band.

I knew this arrangement was fake and temporary, and that the idea of Michelle ever remembering that I loved emeralds was a long shot, but I was a bit miffed that she didn't. Especially since I remembered almost everything that she'd ever mentioned to me.

"Oh, great!" Kate walked over to us. "You're both still alive! Now, the flight is only two hours, so can you try to keep this civility theme going without my supervision?"

"Wait, what? Aren't you sitting in the same row as us?" I asked.

"Ha! Please!" She laughed. "I don't fly commercial, ever. Besides, I have all the original and updated Watson contracts, and I need to keep them as safe as possible. Don't you think? I only bought a plane ticket so I could see you two off together, but I'll still meet you at baggage claim when you land."

Michelle shook her head at her, and I let out a sigh. It wasn't until now that I'd realized it, but Kate had always been the perfect stabilizer between us over the years, the necessary tool that kept us from killing each other.

Or crossing the line ...

"A reporter with Town & Country will serve as the first welcoming press," she said. "She'll have a few minutes with you on the way to the hotel, and we'll worry about Mr. Watson and an updated itinerary later."

"I would now like to invite all first-class passengers onto the aircraft at this time," the gate agent called over the speakers.

I tucked Milo into his bag and stood to my feet. I headed toward the boarding door, but Kate suddenly grabbed my hand from behind—forcing me to spin around.

"Wait a minute," she said, pulling a box from her pocket. "I meant to send this one back to the jeweler. I forgot about it until just now." She looked at Michelle. "Give her the right ring."

Michelle pulled a red ring box out of her pocket and flipped it open.

I bit my tongue so I wouldn't gasp, so she wouldn't get any reaction from me, but the one in her hand was exactly the type of ring I'd mentioned to her before. It was a bright emerald ring with miniature diamonds around its clasp, and it was surrounded by a simple silver band with my name etched onto the metal.