8

Anntonia

Day Thirteen

--------

I wasn't sure why I never connected these dots earlier, why I never paid too much attention to the "Irene Birthday Account" that always showed up on the books this time of year. I'd glanced at the outrageous expense details here or there, thinking they must be quotes and not actual receipts, but now I knew for sure.

"Do you really think you're sending your niece the right message by getting her a pony, a DJ, and a pink mini-convertible for her fourth birthday?"

"That's what she asked for," Michelle said. Then she pointed out the window, where she and a group of her friends were gathered around Milo with bright yarn. "I clearly should've bought her a puppy and saved a shit-ton. How much do you want to sell Milo for?"

I hit her arm and laughed. "He's not for sale."

She grabbed my hand and led me through a crowd of parents and other party guests, heading straight for the kitchen. The DJ was now setting up for his third set on the side lawn, so it was her mother's turn to watch over the kids from the window.

When we made it into the kitchen, she pulled me into a corner-looking as if she was about to kiss me, but we were interrupted.

"Still trying to buy love, I see." It was Miko.

Michelle turned around to face him. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Irene is being raised by me-a single parent, and of course, you think you can swoop in here for a week or two and fix everything with money and fucking ponies."

"She asked for the goddamn pony."

"Every little girl asks for a pony, Michelle." he snapped. "That doesn't mean you fucking give it to them. And no one told you it was okay to throw this over-the-top party, which I'm sure is just another show for Watson."

"Watson is spending his time on the tourist side today."

"How convenient." he shrugged. "Just like this engagement which aligns with Watson's family-oriented priorities. I read about him and saw he's never closed a deal with a person who wasn't engaged or married. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

Michelle didn't answer.

"I surely hope you haven't bought into anything Michelle has told you, Anntonia," he said. "If you think she loves you, you're sadly mistaken. The only person she loves is herself, and I hope you're getting one hell of a payday for putting up with her during this charade. She doesn't have a single honest investor in Dee Industries, and she sold her soul to the devils on Wall Street instead of helping her own mother and brother with their hometown hotel business. Is that really the type of woman you want to be with?"

I noticed Michelle clenching her fists.

"Dad told you to be generous and never forget where you came from." Miko looked Michelle up and down. "I don't think you've worn anything during this trip that costs less than a grand, and I don't recall us growing up on Park Avenue."

"Miko ..."

"How much do you really donate to cancer research?" he leaned against the counter. "I'm sure whatever it is, it's minimal. I'd be surprised if you donated to anything outside of New York real estate." he directed his gaze toward me again. "How much is she really paying you, Anntonia? Anything less than half a million is criminal and-"

"Shut the hell up." I couldn't take it anymore, and his words were making my chest hurt.

"What did you say?" he glared at me. "What's going on between me and my sister has nothing to do with you."