Prologue

POV: Layla

When I looked outside the classroom, I saw the sun shining through the trees. The voice of Professor Brinks sounded far away, even though I was sitting in the first row. As the weeks went by, I wondered more and more why I wanted to be an English major. I should have listened to my mother and chosen biology. Most of the time I enjoy classes, but as of late they have become more and more monotone. And the headaches and dizziness I experience most of these days doesn't help. It's most likely cause I am overworked. After classes, I have to work at the college café.

It helps with the tuition, and it is an easy enough job, but still, after classes plus the time I have to study, it's a little overwhelming. My mom offered to help, but I refused. I wanted to prove to her that I could do it with as little of help as possible. That I could be independent and strong. Like her.

"Miss Madi? Miss Madi?" Professor Gaines had to call for me a couple of times to get me out of my zoned out state. I looked to the front of the class, trying to sneak a look at the black board. I had no idea what we're talking about, but I did know that class ended soon anyway. "Yes Professor?"

"Would you like to give us your opinion on Winston Smith as a character?" Right. 1984. A classic, something every English major should have read at least once. And I did...but when I was half asleep coming from my shift. I remember the brutal, scary or even depressing parts, but god, how would I describe the guy? Guess I'll have to just make something up...

"Ehm yes! I think that his entire point of character is that he is ordinary. His name is Winston Smith. His first name is taken from Churchill, the leader of wartime England. But Smith is the most common name in the US. He is a man who makes a valiant effort in extraordinary circumstances. We're supposed-"

"Sorry, but I think I have to cut you off," he looks down at his watch and then back up at me. Thank god he cut me off, I was about to pull something out of my ass. "Our time is over for today, but you can bring that thought to an end the next time." I nodded at him with a forced grateful smile. I know he means well, I usually do great in his class even when it gets boring. The students began to pack their stuff and leave the classroom.

Slowly, I got up and moved toward the door, careful not to bump into anyone. Most of the students wanted to get out of the classroom as fast as possible, so I let a couple of them walk out first.

"Shoot..." I whispered as I looked at the clock that hangs above the door. 3:23. My shift starts in about 10 minutes and I can't be late. I swear, my manager loves to bully poor college students. I pushed past the last 3 people who tried to leave the classroom. Quickly, I started sprinting to the café, hoping that the manager was in a good mood today. And now my side is burning, gym class was never my thing.

"Whew...alright. 2 minutes left." The sprint was not a good idea, my head started to hurt, and I began to feel slightly dizzy. Taking a deep breath, I walked to my locker. I put my bag in my locker and put my apron on.

"Aren't you a little late?" The manager creeped up behind me, scaring me.

"Huh? Ehm no sir. I am exactly 2 minutes early." I try my best to be nice to him, even though every time he talks to me, he irritates the hell out of me. He can be nice when he wants to be, and most of the time he doesn't want to be.

"We talked about this, you can call me Danny. No need for you to, uh," he stopped and looked me up and down with concern. "Are you okay? You look sick," he covered his mouth and nose with his tea shirt. "Great... I hope I won't get sick now." My legs were shaking as I locked at him.

"I do-don't think I'm sick. Or at least I wasn't this morn-" I couldn't finish my sentence because the dizziness became too overwhelming. Sitting down on a bench nearby. "Sorry. Just a little, uh...dizzy."

"Ugh! Can you work? Yes or no?" I got up from the bench and turned to him.

"Yea-" But I got up too quickly.