Chapter 4

Anyone Else But You

∼❧Anyone Else But You

POV: Blaine

When I touched her wrist, I knew I needed to comfort her. It was almost like an instinct. I could feel her emotions when I touched her. I already noticed this in the alley when she touched my arms to see if I was hustling her. But back then I only felt her confusion and curiosity. Instead, I could feel her pain, sadness, and desperation this time. From the outside, she seemed mostly okay. I never would've guessed what she was going through. It was overwhelming. They definitely didn't teach us this at the academy. Maybe they didn't even know about this, since none of us ever visited earth.

So I did the only thing I could think of and hugged her. For a moment she was stiff but then relaxed into my touch. Like she's never been really hugged before. I felt strangely at peace, and as soon as I realized that, I felt guilty. She was distraught, and here I was feeling at peace. Who gave me the right? Not only that, but I lied to her. Well, not really lied to her, but I left out some information, but it still felt like I did lie to her. Thinking about it makes me feel dirty, like I'm taking advantage of her.

But my train of thought was interrupted by a bubbly voice.

"Who is this?" A redhead girl, dressed in a sweatshirt and sweatpants, stood in the doorway. Neither me nor Layla heard her open the door, we were too distracted. "Wait! That's the guy!"

I pointed at my face and turned to Layla. "I'm the guy?" I asked her confused.

"Mackenzie! What are you doing here? I thought you'd stay with Aubrey?" She ignored my question. I'm the guy? What does that mean?

Mackenzie, her roommate, I'm guessing, looked at me and then Layla with a cheeky grin. "I was planning on just staying today, but we got so comfortable and everything, so I wanted to stay a couple of days longer. Have to pack a bag, though. Is that okay-or am I interrupting?"

I looked at Layla for an answer because technically she was interrupting, but also it wasn't my place to say anything. "No! Of course not! Get your stuff... You look a lot better." She said and then sat back at the desk. I took my seat back on the bed and looked at Mackenzie.

"Mhm. Aubrey takes good care of me." She replied happily.

"Ehm-I'm Blaine. By the way." I introduced myself as she packed her bag.

"Oh yeah! I heard about you," she looked at Layla with a meaningful glance. "I'm Mackenzie! Nice to meet you!" Her whole aura screamed happiness and relaxation. "So, Layla, I probably won't be here for the entire week. Aubrey recently started to bake, and she is actually good at it! So I'll crash at her place for a while...," she bit her lip and looked between the two of us again. "You'll have the place to yourself."

Layla started to blush furiously. Did I miss something? I feel like I missed something.

"Actually, we-I mean I won't be here either. I'll...probably move in back with my mom."