Chapter 2

The Night We Met

POV: Layla

I smell like champagne

I smell like champagne. The front of my hoodie was covered in it. "This is great..." This is what you get for wanting one drink to relax.

"Again I'm so sorry," he looked at me for a moment. "You...OH I-I meant. I didn't mean to, I just wanted to take a look at the paintings... Really. I'm sorry, here," he took his jacket off. "You can have my jacket. To cover it!" He was talking so fast that I barely understood what he said until he tried to put his jacket around my shoulders.

Hastily, I pushed his jacket away. "It's okay! I don't need it. Wasn't wearing anything fancy anyway. I was probably gonna leave soon, so have a good one." I was begging to feel exhausted. It was a...rough day. And now I smell like alcohol.

"This is so embarrassing...," he looked more distressed than me. "It's just so overwhelming. So many people!"

I looked around the gallery, a little confused, there were quite a few people, but the event wasn't too big. "Yeah, I get it. If you'll excuse me..." I could barely look at him without blushing. His eyes are so brown and gentle...

"You sure you don't want my jacket?" He held it up with a nervous smile.

"No, that's really sweet, but I think I'll just head back home. Kind of had like the worst day ever!" I told him with a slight chuckle.

"Why?! It's Valentine's Day! The holiday of love... And you're-you're here," he gestured his arms around. "Getting to look at art! All about the love. The most beautiful emotion there is!"

"I mean yeah sure I agree but funny story I actually forgot that today was Valentine's Day-"

"WHAT!?" His expression turned from nervous to horrified.

"Hey, is this guy bothering you?" A blonde boy interrupted us.

I had to think for a moment because he looked very familiar. "You're Sam-wait no! Spencer! Right?" He looked discouraged that I didn't know his name immediately. But in my defense, I SAW him a couple of times, I never talked to him.

"Y-yeah. You're Layla right? Kenzie's roommate?"

"Yes! I am."

"So you guys okay?" He looked between me and the boy who spilled his champagne on me.

"Yes! He spilled some champagne. On accident! Not like on purpose," The air was tenser than it had to be. "We're just talking..."

"Oh, alright. Ehm, do you wanna come back to us? By the way, if Tina keeps drinking, she's not going to remember anything tomorrow!" Spencer tried to ease the tension, but it wasn't really working, considering the other boy didn't stop looking at me with knitted eyebrows.