Scorpions

Grover shuddered. "Satyrs hate going underground. No searcher would ever try going in that place. No flowers. No sunshine. No coffee shops!"

"But," Annabeth said, "the Labyrinth can lead you almost anywhere. It reads your thoughts. It was designed to fool you, trick you and kill you; but if you can make the Labyrinth work for you—"

"It could lead you to the wild god," I said.

"I can't do it." Grover hugged his stomach. "Just thinking about it makes me want to throw up my silverware."

"Grover, it may be your last chance," Annabeth said. "The council is serious. One week or you learn to tap dance!"

Over at the head table, Quintus cleared his throat. I got the feeling he didn't want to make a scene, but me and Annabeth was really pushing it, sitting at the table so long.

"We'll talk later," Annabeth squeezed Percys arm a little too hard. "Convince him, will you?"

She returned to the Athena table. While I walked to my table, ignoring all the people who were staring at us. I continue to eat up the rest of my food, then I looked at the Athena table. I caught Christines eyes for a second, them she looked away quickly.

* * *

Despite the lively atmosphere, a subtle tension lingered within me, an unspoken unease that had accompanied Christine's abrupt departure.

I watched her slip away from the crowded pavilion, a quiet determination in her steps. Something seemed amiss, and the subtle shifts in her demeanor didn't go unnoticed. Concern gnawed at me, urging me to follow her and seek the cause of her distress.

I went from the table, my footsteps quickening as I caught sight of Christine disappearing around a corner. As I turned the corner myself, I found her standing near the edges of the camp, gazing out towards the distant trees. Her grey eyes, usually bright with resolve, now held a hint of turmoil.

"Christine," I called, my voice carrying a mix of curiosity and worry. She turned, and for a moment, our eyes met, a fleeting connection that spoke volumes. But just as quickly, she averted her gaze, a veil of conflicted emotions clouding her features.

"Orion," she greeted, her tone neutral, masking the currents beneath the surface. "I was just... enjoying the view."

I closed the distance between us, my brow furrowed with concern. "Is everything okay? You seemed a bit off back there."

She sighed, a subtle tension in her shoulders. "It's nothing, Orion. Just some thoughts."

I leaned against a nearby tree, folding my arms. "You can talk to me, you know. We've faced monsters and titans together. Whatever it is, we can handle it."

A conflicted expression flickered across her face, and she finally met my gaze. "It's not about monsters or titans. It's..." She hesitated, the words lingering unspoken in the air.

I took a step closer, my voice gentle. "Christine, we're a team. Friends. You don't have to face whatever it is alone."

She looked away, a subtle blush touching her cheeks. "Orion, it's complicated. I just need some space right now."

Space. The word hung in the air, laden with unspoken complexities. Despite her attempt to distance herself, a subtle vulnerability betrayed her true feelings. My instincts told me there was more beneath the surface, a tapestry of emotions waiting to be unraveled.

"Alright," I said, respecting her need for space but not entirely satisfied with the vague explanation. "Just know I'm here whenever you're ready to share. We can navigate whatever comes our way together."