Mother

Mother,

what happened to you?

You traded your life to shower a man with love you know will never reciprocate,

learned to rely on the voices in your head instead of reason because you know with them you'll never have to wait.

You find husband number five 5 who promises unconditional love in the form of a child you know you can't take care of.

Your firstborn son is excited, though he knows this isn't something that will last, the younger son resents you and retreats back into his father's arms just as you did in the past.

The eldest daughter looks upon you with distrust while the second born daughter looks at you with confusion.

Within a few weeks your sons had left you and your disgrace.

They all wonder if you're going to replace the rust on the blade you're using to split this family up.

They say home is where the heart is but you never gave them a chance to find one.

Instead every weekend at 4 they were traded back off to their respective fathers.

You only ever fed them after you sobered up enough to pull yourself out of bed, 

only giving them affection when you knew they'd found out the truth about what went on in your head.

You found comfort in men you know will only ever hurt you and realize that this is the kind of life you've damned your daughters to.

In your identity crises you found comfort in trying to shape your daughters.

Making the eldest into a mother and the youngest into a lie.

The middle was allowed to be shamed by the man you called 'mine'.

So where are your daughters now?

The eldest never strayed too far from you though she never came 'round anymore, purposefully distancing herself from you.

The middle was dragged away despite her pleads and cries to stay, regretting the way she left things that dreadful day.

The youngest found her way back into your arms.

I wonder how they're doing now, now that I'm not around to keep them from harm.

(Sorry I was gone so long I have been violently sick and bedridden😜)