37 - Izanami

A/N: A chapter actually coming out on the scheduled day? What? 

I really want to say I'll have regular weekly chapters every Monday again. Really.

I guess we'll see next week.

CW: Gore. Rotting stuff. People being douchebags.

***

Down, down, down, at the bottom of a long, winding tunnel, in a dark cave, where barely any light filtered, there stood a woman.

At once, Eitsu knew two things.

First, this women was the oldest, most powerful being she could remember coming across.

Second, Eitsu herself was far, far older.

What followed was an awkward pause, as the two kami considered each other in silence. In this situation, who should speak first? Who should defer to who?

Gathering herself, Eitsu broke the stalemate first, returning her appearance to that of the dark-haired, boyish young woman she had been presenting as in her current life. Her expression was rough, but she bowed to the goddess.

"I greet Izanami no Mikoto."

She had only caught the briefest glimpse of the Queen of Yomi, even her cat-eyes struggling in the darkness. The merest suggestion of a woman in white robes, with her long, long black hair pooling at her feet. A cloth covered her entire face from forehead to chin. The sliver of her forehead, pale as the moon, was the only skin that could be seen.

"Eitsubyou no Mikoto... or should I refer to you as Kesshinichabe-kamuy?"

"Just Eitsu. I'm here to ask a favour, after all."

"No wonder you're so willing to grovel." Izanami's voice was silken smooth, her words as harsh as thorns. "I wondered why you bowed your head first, when you're my elder. Stand. Tell me what you want."

Her last words sounded exhausted; Eitsu could hear echoes of Tsubaki's voice within them. Rising, she found that Izanami had drifted away to sit on a chair or throne made of rock. She watched this mutely.

"Got nothing to say now, after causing all kinds of trouble with the staff?"

Eitsu's eyes narrowed bitterly. "Perhaps if I got some answers, I wouldn't have had to."

"You dropped that pretence of respectfulness very quickly. At least you are honest."

"What respectfulness? You need to control your subordinates better."

The already cold cave seemed to grow colder.

"Come closer."

As Eitsu moved forwards, more details of the woman on the throne were revealed. She could see that part of Izanami's long hair was bound on the top of her head with large ornaments made of jawbones. She felt queasy looking at them.

There was a long, silver shape resting against the throne. It appeared to be some kind of sceptre or spear.

"What do you know about me, Lady Eitsu?"

"You're the Queen here, I guess."

"... and?"

"... you have nice hair?"

Izanami twitched.

"What is it that you want?"

Eitsu swallowed down the answer that sprang first to her mind, and threw out the second. "There is... one of your shinigami. I want him punished."