Chapter 2: Escape

Lucci swallowed hard. He wasn't above taking you by force, in fact, it looked like he was about to. There was just something about seeing you seem willing for him that made him falter.

He loosened his grip on you and eased back. Reluctantly, he tore his gaze from you to glance at the empty whiskey bottle left on your dresser.

"There are a few bottles in the kitchen," he stated cautiously.

"Good, I'll be back in a minute."

His grip on you tightened as you tried to slip away, and you struggled to hold in a whimper.

"You can go yourself if you prefer. Although, you might find it hard to hide the state of you if anyone else comes looking for a midnight snack."

He followed your gaze down to his tented pants and finally relented, fully releasing you from his grip.

"Don't keep me waiting." It was his final warning before allowing you to leave.

You didn't prepare. You took nothing with you. No phone, no cash, no weapons, not even a proper pair of shoes. Even intoxicated, he would notice if you took anything with you that wasn't necessary for your task. It was a miracle he allowed you to leave the room in the first place. He had to believe you were only going down the hall. He had to believe you intended to return.

You glanced back one final time once you reached the doors to the kitchen. The hall was still empty. Good.

You kept moving, walking calmly and swiftly until you reached the freight elevator. You didn't hesitate to move inside and select the ground floor. There was no turning back now.

The elevator moved agonizingly slow, but somehow you made it down all nine stories. The exit was only a few paces away after you reached the ground floor, and you didn't hesitate to push yourself out and into the dark alley. You almost lost your balance when the cold night air hit you. Your thin cotton t-shirt and shorts did nothing to protect you from the frigid temperatures, but you didn't care. You felt fucking amazing.

You only allowed yourself a second to bask in that feeling before you started running. You weren't sure where you were going. You could figure that out later. Right now, you just had to put as much distance as possible between you and your now former sensei. It wouldn't have taken long for Lucci to realize what you had done. You knew he was already pursuing you. He knew New World City better than you did, especially the district you were currently in. You had to go further, faster. You couldn't take a cab since you had no cash. You could try to boost a car, but that would take time. In the end, your feet made the decision for you as you headed toward familiar ground.

You lost your slip-on shoes as you vaulted over the turnstiles at the subway station entrance. It was a miracle they stayed on as long as they did, but you still cringed as you landed on a floor that looked like it had never been cleaned.

There were only a few trains that were still running this time of night, and you cursed at your own stupidity when you realized none of them were pulled into the station. You hid yourself behind a far column and waited for the next one.

It would be at least another five minutes before the nearest train arrived, but the hairs on the back of your neck were already standing on end. His slow footsteps echoed against the walls of the empty station, announcing his arrival and the end of your pursuit.

"There is no use hiding from me, Sparrow." His low voice carried easily across the platform.

You knew it was going to be tough to get away, but you didn't think he would find you so quickly.

"You have nowhere left to run."

He had you there. Lucci was standing between you and the exit. The only other way out was by train, assuming you found a way to keep him from following you into it. If you could stall him a few more minutes, at least there would be that option. With a lot of luck, you might even be able to push him in front of it as it rolled into the station. Wishful thinking, but it did still bring a smile to your face.