Chapter 5: Fearless Stupidity

Kid's Body Shop, NWC South District

The sun had almost completely set by the time they finally closed shop. Kid finished locking the last of the garage doors on the shop floor when he met back up with Killer. With their above the board work complete, they moved on to the routine of discussing the not so legal side of business. The next shipment was in route with no expected delays, but some of their contacts had floated information about a missing girl that the government had issued a fairly large bounty for, dead or alive.

They had already agreed to keep your presence there just between the two of them. It's not that he didn't trust his guys, more that he wanted to protect them. The less they knew about you, the safer they would be. He would have to come up with an excuse to have Heat and Wire crash with one of the other guys while you stayed with them. Besides the two bedrooms Kid and Killer stayed in, the upstairs apartment in the shop had a large den the two men slept in more often than not. You promised to stay out of trouble, but even after only meeting you briefly, he doubted that would last long.

They had just made their way upstairs when Kid finally asked Killer about you.

"Sounds like our guest was quiet today. Keeping her word in staying out of trouble?"

"Seems that way. I slipped some food in the door a while ago, but she was still knocked out."

"Better check on her again. Keep her quiet while I clear out the guys. After being stuck with all those suits in the government, she might freak out at the sight of Heat and Wire." Kid and Killer were an intimidating sight on their own, but the other two scarred and tattooed giants had an additional sense of macabre that often had strangers running in fear when they walked down the street.

Killer nodded and turned towards his room, but Kid stopped him with an easy grip on the shoulder before he could reach the doorknob.

"Where are you going?"

"I left her in my room."

"Why?"

"Seemed like the safest place. The guys know not to barge in when I'm not there."

"Hm."

"Want me to put her somewhere else?"

"No."

The blond raised a brow, a faint smirk creeping along his features.

"Shut the fuck up, Killer."

Before either of them had a chance to continue, they were stopped by the sudden sound of a short, high-pitched scream from further down the hall. Both men sprinted to the open door to the den. Whatever they expected to find, this was definitely not it.

Your back was to the door as you lounged on the couch next to Heat. Wire was slouched in the push leather chair against the wall, one ankle crossed over his knee as he alternated between eating popcorn and tossing it at the two of you. You shot Wire a glare even as you chuckled, pulling a loose piece of popcorn from where it fell down your shirt and throwing it back.

"Watch your aim creep!" you squealed. "You're gonna make me mess this up."

Heat was munching on his own popcorn, not bothered by either you or Wire while he lazily watched the low budget horror movie playing on the TV across from them. You stole a piece of Heat's popcorn and popped it in your mouth before moving your free hand back to your task, which was apparently weaving small braids into Heat's hair.

Kid blinked a few times, taking a moment to process the ridiculous sight in front of him before loudly clearing his throat.

The three of you all turned to look at the two men standing in the doorway, but said nothing.