Chapter 3 - When the Fighting's Near

Author's Note: Enjoy the revelations about this reality! :D I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts! :)

~ Amina Gila

The last thing Anakin wants is to be trapped in here with a Sith. Even if that Sith is apparently Obi-Wan. Actually, especially if that Sith is somehow Obi-Wan, because this isn't his, and he has absolutely no idea what to expect. Does this Obi-Wan even know him? What does he want with him? What's he planning to do to him?

The sheer familiarity of that voice hurts when he has no idea when he's ever going to see his Obi-Wan again. This one is Fallen, and absolutely nothing like Anakin's. He knows his master isn't perfect, but he can't imagine anything that would make him Fall.

"Do you know me?" Anakin ventures, desperately hoping for a yes. If he does, then that means that – that there is another Anakin, and that at least Obi-Wan knew him. (And maybe, it'll affect whatever the Sith has in mind to... do to him. He doesn't know how to face Obi-Wan hurting him. Not physically, not like this.)

"You're... familiar," Obi-Wan replies, studying him intently. Right now, the look is only making him uncomfortable, especially when he can't move. "But no, I don't know you."

No one knows him. No one. Would it even matter if he was gone? If he disappeared, and – Not that he can say this universe is better at all, but that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he might not even exist here. Or maybe, he died or... something. But he can't imagine a universe where he didn't know everyone in his family. Doesn't really want to think about it.

It's hardest to look at Obi-Wan, who he's known for over half his life, and be the only one who even remembers. He doesn't know what to say to him, to – anything.

"But you know me," Obi-Wan says, moving closer. He's standing only a couple paces in front of him now. "You were asking me for help."

That.

Right.

"I thought you were someone else," Anakin replies, looking away from Obi-Wan's gaze, unable to hold it.

"Did you?" he muses, "No one knows the name I had before. How do you?"

He can't tell him that. He probably shouldn't, at least, because he doesn't need the Sith knowing about who he is. Because right now, Obi-Wan is the enemy. He can't even – begin imagining that. But there's no reasonable way he can lie his way out of answering that question, either. "I – I've heard of you before," he responds, scrambling for something to say.

Obi-Wan doesn't look particularly impressed with the answer. "Let's start at the beginning," he replies, and it's not exactly cold, but something about the tone still makes Anakin's skin crawl, "What were you doing in the Chancellor's office? And how did you get there?"

"I don't know," Anakin tells him, and it's the honest truth. Doesn't mean Obi-Wan believes him, and he has good reason not to.

Obi-Wan crosses his arms, giving him an unimpressed look. "And where were you before then?"

"Elsewhere."

"Where, specifically, is elsewhere?" Obi-Wan presses.

Anakin doesn't know how to answer that, but he needs to think fast. "Elsewhere."

"As a Jedi, I should think you're well aware of the dangers of showing up on Coruscant. What's your aim?"

"I wasn't there to fight the Empire. I haven't done anything against it," he objects, which is true, but he's just stalling. Obi-Wan's never going to believe him.