Chapter 8 - But You'll Never See

Author's Note: The Lost Familiar crew get used to having Ahsoka. :)

~ Amina Gila

Anakin was expecting to be sent off on another mission any day, but the mission in question wasn't what he expected.

The ship's comm beeps, and Anakin picks up, because he always does. He thought it would be rebel command, but instead, it's Hunter. "In trouble already?" Anakin asks, a little worried and amused at once.

"Not quite," he replies, "We took a weapons delivery to Ryloth. The details aren't relevant, but they contacted us again for help. Omega wanted us to go, but they'll be going up against the Empire, and that's not something I want to risk."

"What happened?" Anakin inquires, alarm flaring through him.

"The Empire is taking weapons from the citizens," he says, "Or something like that, and someone hired us to give them more. They had a child with them – Hera Syndulla – and she contacted us, saying her parents were arrested."

"She wants us to free them?" Anakin guesses. Wait, Syndulla? As in Cham Syndulla? "Do you have coordinates?"

"Tech is sending them through now."

Anakin nods to him. "We'll be on our way."

Ahsoka is grumpy about it, but everyone else is right on for the mission, so Anakin sets course for Ryloth.

He's a little cautious about it when they land, but he doesn't sense many people around. When they get off, a droid rolls towards them, beeping harshly.

Artoo rolls up to him, beeping back, and Anakin pulls them apart before the argument can get violent. That's happened before.

"Who are you?" a child's voice asks worriedly.

"I'm a Jedi," Anakin tells her. She's younger than he thought she'd be. Small. "Hunter told us about you. Omega wanted us to help."

The girl approaches them, though it's still slow, hesitant.

"Why's the Empire after you?" Anakin queries, crouching to talk to her at eye-level.

"Because my father is Cham Syndulla," Hera answers, and everything clicks into place. Probably, it was a little different here, but still, Anakin has no doubt he remained a freedom fighter. That's what he's always been.

"So... where do we come into this little dirthouse?" Asajj snarks, waving her hands.

"This is my father's old command outpost," Hera replies sullenly.

"I'm assuming you want us to find your parents?" Padme guesses, walking towards her.

"Yes," Hera nods, "They're being held in the Capitol."

"Well, let's see what we're up against," Anakin says, "If it's safe here, we can leave the ship and go together. Hera, we'll need you to pinpoint what's what. I've been here a few times, but never spent long on the surface."

They find a cliff overlooking the city – it's a good thing Ryloth is a mountainous planet. It gives them far more cover. In the city, they're talking about how Cham Syndulla and his supporters tried to assassinate Orn Free Taa.

"That's not what happened," Hera whispers, like that would bother any of them.

"Don't worry," Anakin replies dryly, "I'd have more respect for him if it was." Everyone knows Orn Free Taa is a slaver. Anakin certainly wouldn't feel bad about it if he was dead. Cham was a freedom fighter who fought for his people, and Anakin respects him for that.