Chapter 4 - It's Deep In Their Bones

Author's Note: Anakin meets more familiar faces. ;)

~ Amina Gila

It feels almost too easy as the ship lands in the hangar back on Mustafar. The fight is over, and they're safe, but Anakin can't let his guard down yet.

"Now that that's over, you staying?" Anakin asks Asajj, turning back to her after they leave the ship. Padme is already off, conversing with some of the rebels who were waiting to greet her.

Asajj shrugs lazily. "I think you could use someone to keep you out of trouble, kid. What are you doing?"

"Staying. I don't have anywhere else to go."

Asajj crosses her arms, glancing at Qui-Gon, who's watching Padme and the others. He still seems... almost uncharacteristically quiet and withdrawn. "I'll stick around, but just for now," she decides, "I think you're all gonna need the help."

"Thank you," Anakin tells her honestly – he doesn't know her well, but he doesn't want her to just leave, either.

Padme approaches him, and Anakin turns to face her. "Thank you for coming to rescue me," she says, "The Alliance Council is requesting you to stay. We could use your help."

Anakin glances at Qui-Gon, who's watching him now. He needs to go back home, because that's where he belongs, and he has no idea how to function without the rest of his family, but maybe... he'll be alright here for a while. The Force brought him here, and it's where he's needed most. "I'll help however I can," he decides, "For as long as I'm here."

"Thank you," Padme nods to him, smiling, and he smiles back, though it still feels a little hesitant and awkward.

"I'm a Jedi," Anakin points out, "It's my duty."

"I imagine they're going to have some questions as to where you're from," Padme adds.

Ah. That will be hard to explain. "I'm from a different place," Anakin replies, "Not from here. But first, I have a... personal mission to attend to."

"I understand," Padme agrees.

"What about you?" Anakin queries, "Where will you be?" He's almost afraid to ask, but really, she has her own life. He can't stop everyone else from living their own lives just because he suddenly popped in. He doesn't even belong here. He shouldn't have friends, but he doesn't want to be alone.

"Now that I'm free, I'll go back to where I was," Padme replies, "With my family. We call ourselves the Amidalans. We left the Republic after the Trade Federation took over my planet."

The Federation won? Force. Anakin can't imagine that. Where was he? That's what he was supposed to be doing – helping people. Freeing them. Clearly, this galaxy's version of him is doing a very, very bad job.

"We've been fighting for freedom," she continues, "We never aligned with the Confederacy of Independent Systems, but after the Empire formed, we have... similar views. We have the same endgame, at least." Right, because they had the same name as the Separatists, even if they're also just called the rebels.

Padme doesn't align herself with the Rebellion. Anakin doesn't know why he thought she did. Maybe – maybe Anakin doesn't belong here, either, then. "You're leaving?" he asks, unable to help his disappointment.

"Once I can find them, yes," Padme replies, "You're welcome to come."

"Thank you," Anakin tells her, honestly. It still hurts, though. "But I'm staying with Qui-Gon." Because of everyone, he is the one Anakin can't leave a second time.

"I understand," she nods again, smiling. "Well, see you around, Anakin."

"Yeah," he agrees, "You too." Padme turns away, and Anakin watches her leave, feeling a strange level of loss. Sometimes, he wishes he didn't care for people so much, get attached so easily.