Christian (UPDATED)

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat" or,
"Fortune favors the bold"
~Augustus Ceasar 

It was a normal day in the Roman Empire for Christian, basically, to any other being, incredibly stressful. Currently Greece,—specifically Athens—was planning an attack on Rome. For some reason, ever since the fall of Rome, Athens' city-state was becoming only more and more powerful. The worst of it? Today was Monday, August 7th. Now, that would not normally be an issue, maybe to people born passed the year 400 CE, but before then, weekends weren't really a thing. Especially if you were a soon to be Emperor like Christian. The problem with this Monday, specifically, was because this was the day Rome was holding the Olympics.

And even worse, Christian was supposed to be competing this year. Competing in which sport? Racing. Now it would seem like he was backing down! If I were a Roman citizen and believed my future Emperor was afraid of some... what was it called again? Oh, yes. A horse. Then I probably wouldn't want him as the leader! So what will the Romans think? Will I be killed? Christian wondered miserably, worrying himself only further.

That's when he heard a knock. Just as Christian was about to open the door, his father threw it open. At first, not realizing who it was, he almost cursed. Emperor Trubine was a kind Emperor, but he highly disliked his last name, so no one called him that. Everyone either called him The Emperor, or Emperor Decembus. He had overthrown Augustus, and the Romans were overjoyed. Augustus was kind of a terrible Emperor. Not that Christian was complaining. His terribleness was what brought his father to take control over the Empire.

His father's gruff expression was the only thing that brought him back from his wandering stage.

"Christian?"

"Yes, Emperor?" Christian replied to his father.

"There is something you need to know, and I have taken it upon myself to let you receive this information..." his father trailed off, panicked. "...by your assistant Jade!" he finished, leaving the room with Jade standing behind where he was at.

Christian looked at Jade, annoyed, but not at her.

"Sorry," Christian spoke, expression softening. He had allowed her the rare day off to see the Olympics, but his father had clearly ruined that for her.

"It's fine. I'm sure you'll process this information without any problems, though it may seem startling at first." Jade nodded as she spoke, evaluating her own word choice before in her head, making each word sound more perfectly chosen than the last. Then, realizing his father had long left, she eases, feeling comfortable with her place that was not close to Christian's father.

"Well, what kind of news would you like to hear first?" Jade asked.

"Good news, please."

"Not an option." Jade said sardonically. She did that a lot. Sometimes, when there were tons of people around, she'd act super professional, and then when it was just her and Christian, she'd get all annoyed and sassy, and sometimes rude. He got the feeling she didn't like him very much.

"Ok... then what are my options? Bad news and incredibly bad news or something?"

"Exactly!" She answered his not-really-a-question question with a fake smile.

"Ok then, you choose." Christian spoke, trying not to stoop down to her level of unprofessionalism by showing any signs that he might have been amused.

"Bad news it is!"

Despite everything, and all his struggles against it, he laughed, causing Jade to smile. For real, this time, too. Not whatever fake expression she normally had plastered over her face.

"The least of the bad news is... you're adopted. Kind of."

"Ok, and the really bad news?"

"Your not confused?" Jade asked, but the answer was clear.

"I mean, I kind of expected it. I never really understood the way people act. They're so weird with their obsessions of..." he trailed off.

"Of...?" Jade questioned, waiting for him to finish.

"animals."

"But... don't you have a dog?" she asked, confused.

"Yes." Christian responded, slightly confused.

She looked at him with anticipation, and he yelled for the animal.

"Dog!" Christian yelled, as the groggy puppy came trotting in, happy there was finally another person besides Christian.

"Wait..." Jade replied with dismay. "You haven't even named it?"

"...No? Is that a bad thing?"

"Of course, it is! Dogs need affection!" the displeased girl spoke, scratching the newly ecstatic rottweiler behind the ear. "We'll finish this conversation later."

"Alright, and—"

"Wait..." Jade said, deep in thought. Apparently dogs had that effect on her. "You said that you expected being adopted because you didn't understand the way people act?"

"Yes? Is there a problem?"

"No, no..." Jade trailed off, leaving Christian unconvinced, but not suspicious enough to pry.

Jade furrowed her brows. Now that was enough to pry. She never showed the process of her thoughts. At least, not that Christian has seen.

Jade was talking to herself, now. She must've forgotten Christian was there.

"Neptune... could he know?"

The god Neptune was his father? Christian shifted uncomfortably, and that was seemingly the first time Jade had noticed his presence. She flinched, realizing her mistake. The movement was subtle, but Christian noticed almost immediately.

"A prophecy, you were switched because of a prophecy, Christian. Because it's dangerous, you could be killed, would've already, if they hadn't done it." Jade spoke, her words slurring, but she didn't stop, she felt the need to explain, but Christian understood.

"Also..." Jade continued, hesitantly.

"Yes?"

"You need to meet someone."

"My father?"

"No, before you can meet your father. He is a god, Christian. He is currently in the depths of the ocean, so we have an... appointment, shall I say, between the two of you tomorrow at 3 p.m."

"Well, this someone will have to wait. As will you. Tell the Emperor I will be gone for... a swim." he said, annoyance hinting at his voice.

"No, you can't, Christian," Jade started, and anyone would've listened, feeling the air shift under her command. Anyone... except for Christian. "Neptune is incredibly strict; he won't allow it!" But Christian couldn't care less about what Neptune allowed. Neptune had taken in some mortal instead of his own son because he was too afraid of some stupid prophecy! He owed this visit, expected or not, to Christian.

Plus, if Christian really was a demigod, then he should be able to breathe under water, right? And if he wasn't... Well, then it wouldn't even matter, now would it?

As Christian arrived at the docks, he hesitated. "What am I thinking? This is dangerous!" he said to himself. Then, seeing Jade running up angrily behind him, he jumped.