Christian

"Waste no time arguing over what a
man should be. Be one." ~Marcus
Aurelius

"I see." Neptune said, watching as Christian sketched plan after plan, pointing to one he had drawn moments before. "Why have most of the defense up front? Shouldn't they be farther back?" he asked.

"If you have more defenders up front, they will push the offense back, but, if by some miracle on the attacker's part, they do manage to get passed, we have offense who are more aggressive, and can fight more roughly." Christian explained.

"And the defense at the back?"

"Extra precautions. As you said, defense is meant to stop attackers, not be attackers. That is why you should have at least 50 men as last resorts. Preferably the strongest out of them all."

Neptune nodded. "I will take that into consideration. But what of our offense, when we must attack?" he questioned, trying to find a flaw in Christian's plan. He smirked.

"That is where this setup comes in." he said, pointing to another wooden plate. "You have the attackers conquer small areas of land, then let the defenders protect what is newly ours. Then, once the offense has had enough time to recover, repeat, pushing further, defending more conquered land."

Neptune stood. "I suppose I shall try your methods." He said, and scowled. "Don't get too comfortable with my approval, child. Mortals always have flaws."

Christian smiled. Neptune had made a mistake. "So, you admit I have earned your approval." he asked, though it wasn't really a question. It was a statement.

"As I said before," Neptune continued, jaw clenching with each pause. "Mortals always have flaws."

"But I am only half mortal." Christian countered and continued. "I am your son."

"You are not my son!" Neptune yelled, almost too quickly.

His words stung. They shouldn't have, but they did.

"And you are not my father, just my blood." He responded. He wouldn't, couldn't show weakness. "My father is the emperor. He's the one who raised me. Now, just because I have turned 16, doesn't mean you get to start acting like one."

"It was never my intention to, boy. I was only going to inform you of the prophecy you must fulfil."

"Glad we're finally on the same page."

"Indeed." Neptune said, needing the last word. Christian didn't want to let him have it, but there was nothing left to say. Fine, he thought. Let me be the bigger person. Fine by me.

After a moment, Christian remembered something, and asked, "You said there was a prophecy. What did it say?"

Neptune hesitated. "I must warn you, it might be disturbing to learn with such little training about your time limit, but I will reassure you that—"

"What did it say?" Christian pressed.