02 • "Coca or Pepsi?"

Tuesday, September 27th : 12:01

The professor dismissed the class for lunch, and today Asa was quicker to put her stuff in her bag as she wanted to get away as fast as possible. The guy from yesterday had been stealing glances at her every now and then without addressing her for the past 4 hours. It honestly disturbed her and she had trouble focusing at what the teacher was saying though the latter did his best to help her. She wouldn't want to ask him « what's up? » of course, she knew he wanted to talk about yesterday.. « why is he looking at me though? It's not like I directly asked him to have sex.. ».

She therefore vanished from the class as soon as she was done, not letting him enough time to talk to her.

"Ah, where is... um..." The class President reached her table, a mix of disappointment and confusion on her face as she looked at the empty chair.

"Mitaka? She ran outside. Bathroom emergency I bet." He shrugged looking at her sideways. She turned to face the boy with a frown.

"Oh." She simply answers, the blond boy added nothing more and stood up from his seat, grabbed his backpack then walked past her while she was staring at him until he disappeared from behind the sliding door.

This time Asa sat down to eat her sandwich, still on the rooftop. Her new favorite location. « Shit.. I forgot about the class Prez.. she said she'd ask me again to have lunch with her... she's going to think I'm avoiding her and probably hate me for the rest of the school year... » she sighed before comforting herself with another bite.

She closed her eyes to calm herself, taking a deep breath while thinking about new plans to integrate in her class. Maybe she should listen to conversations, and pop up the moment someone talks about movies? She loves movies but no, she would never dare. It has been only 3 weeks since the holidays ended, so of course after an entire trimester there would be friends groups. « The solution is probably to wait for P.E class? I'll probably be paired up with someone and could befriend them then. » She smiled, proud of her plan.

The steel door to the rooftop suddenly slammed open disturbing her safe haven and interrupting the calming sound of the city with a loud noise as someone walked in.
"Ah, there's someone already." He spoke.

Asa frowned at the sight of this black haired dude. « I'm leaving. » she thought, immediately standing up.

"For real? We should go then.." she heard that same voice that in just a day she already had registered and sighed looking down. "Oh! We're in the same class!" When she raised her eyes he had already passed the door and was standing next to his friend.

"You know her?"

"Yea sort of... hey do you like Cola? I can give you my can in repayment for yesterday." He was smiling.

"It's okay I said, you don't have to repay me, forgot already?" She spoke before simply walking away as she wondered if she was supposed to say something specific to announce her departure? Anyways she hoped they wouldn't prevent her.

"Wait!" He said, and she stopped, a few steps from him. "My name's Denji." He bluntly stated. She nodded, hesitating if she should tell him her name or not, after all she already said it yesterday? Oh fuck it.

"I'm Asa Mitaka." She answered.

"Yea I know." He scoffed, she raised an eyebrow. "I'm not gonna forget it that easily." He added as she relaxed, glancing at him. He had this kinda bored and lazy attitude, but still he was smiling. Suddenly something hit her. Asa held back a gasp as she suspiciously looked at him. Maybe... maybe he liked her? That would explain a lot. Why he was looking at her so intensely during classes, why he was insisting on paying her back and saying that he won't forget her name? « Oh my God.. » she thought. She cleared her throat.

"What do you mean?" She was looking at him in the eyes, slightly unsettled, after all it was the first time a boy liked her. What if he just makes a confession right here right now? In front of his friend —who honestly seemed like he wasn't supposed to be here anymore..

"Huh? Who would forget it, that fall from yesterday was memorable.." he chuckled as her lips parted and her brows slightly frowned. She certainly did not expect that answer. But at least she knew now, she was now sure he didn't like her, he's just like everyone else. So she scoffed and showed him her back as she left the rooftop.

"What happened?" He tilted his head as the door shut.

"I don't know." His friend shrugged. "Lemme have some," he then took the can from Denji's hand.

"Oi Miri I don't want any indirect kiss from you this was for Asa." He snatched it back, glaring at his friend as the latter chuckled.

"You're so misandrist!" He mocked but Denji didn't care because he knew it was true, and he did not feel bad about it. In fact Miri called himself his friend but Denji never really considered him as such.
The only man he considered close to that in his life died a long time ago. Letting out a sigh Denji started sipping on his Coca Cola can.
« Maybe she refused because she prefers Pepsi.. » he thought.

AN: shorter chapter, I hope you enjoy it though!
Btw Miri is the Sword hybrid that we see in partII.