02. chapter two

act one season one
esqueleto.

          THE SMELL OF burning heat pecked itself across the room, spotting on Jasmine's skin lightly

          THE SMELL OF burning heat pecked itself across the room, spotting on Jasmine's skin lightly. Her fingers reddened with each stroke of the straightener against her hair. She sat in front of Isabella's vanity, wincing when the warmth flared close to her ear.

     "Minnie, where's the lipstick I gave you?"

     She glanced at Jenny across the mirror, turning off the hair tool with a final touch-up, "the small pocket in my bag."

     Jenny's brows contorted as she found herself fumbling with crumbled paper instead, reading across the words with pursed lips. "Cobra Kay? Minnie, what is this?"

     The music was only ever loud enough for her words to be heard lowly, yet Jasmine sighed as they processed through her mind. "Karate dojo I'm trying out, I'll just take a look."

     "Ooh! You're back doing karate again?" Isabella's voice was soft, mindlessly saying her words as she focused on Aisha's eye shadow.

     "Are you? Because you don't have time, Minnie. We have figure skating, I just let you in the cheerleading team, and Mila told me you signed up for debate. I-"

     "Oh and don't forget she's in the robotics team too!" Aisha snorted.

     Jasmine rolled her eyes, fiddling with the tip of her nails. Her jaw clenched and she released a deep breath, "Jenny, I have the time. If anything, I want to do this."

     "And Mr. Larusso?"

     "I'm not doing anything wrong," she licked her lips, biting them with a frustrated stomp of her foot. "He hasn't asked me yet, it looks like he's not doing the whole dojo thing this year again."

     Jenny pouted, "I just don't want you to exhaust yourself, I-." She gulped, "where did you even find this flyer?"

     "Oh, some dude was handing them out the park before I came here. I'll go tomorrow morning." She said with a shrug, grasping the paper from Jenny's hands. Jenny's mouth parted, her eyes widening before closing for a scarcely prolonged period.

     Her fingers pinched the flesh between her eyebrows, "you took a random flyer, from a random man, out of nowhere; and he expects you to be there, and you said yes?"

     Jasmine nibbled on the inside of her left cheek, where a dimple lay on her outer skin. She stood up exasperatedly, the crumpled-up paper rooming between her armpit. She glanced at the bathroom door, before settling on Jenny, "Maybe? I know it sounds bad, but I can totally vibe check, and he seemed okay."