Our Name, Kagamine

As time went by, everyone was busy getting ready for Rin and Len's continuation until they could be debuted for a show. The Director, along with MEIKO, KAITO, and Miku, spent lots of time teaching the twins all about singing and how to be on stage. Until finally, the Director had decided with a few other colleagues how to properly broadcast them, as he was still impressed by that day in karaoke.

One sunny day, Rin and Len went to see the Director in his office, which was full of music books and awards, and everything was neatly arranged. The Director, who was always serious, nodded to say hello.

"Please sit, Rin and Len. We have something important to talk about," Wat said, pointing to the chairs in front of his desk.

Rin and Len sat down, feeling excited and a bit nervous. They were wearing their new debut school sailor like uniforms that looked a lot like Miku's, making them feel like young, fresh vocaloids. Rin's uniform was a bright orange with some grey, and Len's was a happy yellow with black. The Director looked at them and smiled a bit. "Your clothes show how young and clear your voices are, just like Miku. You bring energy and hope," he told them, helping them understand why they chose those uniforms.

Then, the talk turned more personal. The Director decided to share more about himself with Rin and Len. "You can call me Mr. Wat," he said in a friendly way. "I don't usually share that, but you two are special, and it's time you knew more about me." This made the mood in the room nicer, and Rin and Len got to see a different side of the Director they liked. They talked about music, personal stories, and what the Director thought about their future.

"Miku is amazing on stage," Wat said, pulling out some pictures. "Look at this." He showed them a photo of Miku performing, with her turquoise pigtails and a big smile. Rin looked at it and was amazed, really interested in how Miku could own the stage. Len, not as outward as Rin, paid close attention, trying to learn from the energy Miku showed in her performance. Being new to performing live, Rin and Len started to feel really excited about doing it themselves.

"The reason why I called you two here today." He paused for a moment, then reached for the file near his desk. "... Our team has decided on what to finally call you two." Looking up, he noticed the twins' reactions, seeing them simultaneously tilt their heads in curiosity. He slightly chuckled before reading the file. "Kagamine. Both of you shall be called Kagamine. Mirror vocals, twin vocals, where both cancel each other out.. Yet, harmonize." He looked at Len, offering a slight smile as he had grown fond of him. "For you, you're just as powerful as your counterpart, but you're the calmer one."

Rin perked up with a frown, her curiosity buzzing inside her. "Calmer one? Is it because he's a bit shyer than me?" She found the Director's sudden change of tone about the karaoke incident last time both disconcerting and intriguing. Rin was nearly suspicious of this shift, but she decided to let it go, crossing her arms slightly.

Len looked at Rin, smiling a bit. "Maybe," he said quietly, sounding a bit playful. "Or I just know when to speak up now..." He gave a small shrug, okay with what the Director said about him. Rin's comments didn't bother Len much; he stayed cool and collected. He understood what the Director meant and didn't make a big deal out of it.

Mr. Wat cleared his throat, his head facing down a little. "Regarding my personal thoughts on both of you.. I'd like to apologize." He sat up, keeping a serious but friendly expression in his face, trying not to scare them. "I think you two are a good match, and I would like to work with you. If it's not much, I want to help you two move forward just like how Miku is progressing."

Rin looked surprised and happy. "Hmmm, really?" she asked, sounding excited. She leaned in, eager to hear more. Len nodded, smiling a bit. "Oh, really?," he said warmly with a twang of the same excitement. They exchanged glances with one another, slightly confused how to react to this sudden apology, but smiled as they could finally sing together.

"Yep, really," he said, looking more at ease and crossing his arms. "So, how do you feel about your new last names?" He looked curious. "It means 'mirror,' which fits you two." Rin and Len agreed with him. "Yes, sir," they said together, their voices blending like a song.

"Great, because MEIKO and KAITO like it too," he added, then started looking through his papers again. "That's all for today. I'll let you know when your next show is, and it's going to be very soon," he said with a small smile.

***

The newly named Kagamine vocals had walked out of Director Wat's professional office, sticking together, side by side. Outside, KAITO was waiting for them inside the car making sure he could see them, also wondering if they heard about the news!

Rin turned to Len as they left the main building, her smile wide. "So, Kagamine, right?" She was excited. "It fits us! We're so close, and it's like our thoughts mirror each other, even when we're just daydreaming!" Len looked at her, a bit surprised. "All of this, you figured out in just a few weeks?" He couldn't help but wonder how they were just made, yet Rin was the one noticing small things he never noticed.

"Yeah, especially since we're getting to know Miku, MEIKO-nii, and KAITO-nii better," Rin replied. "And since we're the newer models, our databases update more often, right? So, the traits we pick up also update our knowledge and how we understand everything around us." Rin spoke more seriously now, making Len listen carefully, impressed by her insight. She sounded like MEIKO, discussing their abilities and everything they're learning.

"You're right," Len agreed, absorbing Rin's explanation. "Sometimes, I realize I know words I didn't know I knew... if that makes any sense." He was a bit unsure but hoped Rin would understand. Rin just patted his shoulder, still smiling. "I get what you mean." They continued walking, now heading outside towards the car KAITO had left for them.

"Hey, guys!" KAITO called out with a smile, rolling down the car window to catch their attention. "How was the meeting... Kagamine's?" He teased them with a playful chuckle and a raised eyebrow. Rin and Len smiled in return, each giving a thumbs up. "It was good!" they both replied, climbing into the car. KAITO glanced back at them as they settled into the backseat, concern tinting his voice. "So... the Director's okay with you two now? No issues?" He was understandably worried, given Mr. Wat's previous critiques and rules.

Len was quick to reassure him, offering a serene smile. "Yeah, he seemed to really get us this time. Is that the right way to put it?" He sought confirmation from both Rin and KAITO, who nodded in understanding. "He seems to appreciate us being together now," Len added, a hint of shyness creeping in as he felt their gazes, prompting a supportive smile from Rin. "Exactly! He kind of... changed his mind about us?" Finding the right words was tricky, but it was clear they both felt the Director had warmed up to them significantly.

"That's good.." KAITO nodded in amusement, his expression lighting up. "Well, besides that.. you two have new last names now!!" He clapped excitedly, which made the twins giggle a bit. "The Kagamine's... The duo! The stars! Along with Miku of course." The blue haired man with his classic scarf was now obviously playing with the twins, creating the feeling of enjoyment in their databases and systems. KAITO laughed as well, gazing back at the twins. "Me and Mei-Mei chose those names, it was fitting because you two are literal mirror images of each other!" His arm leaned against the car seat, slowly starting up the car. "Too bad Mei-Mei and Miku are busy right now, it'd be nice if we all went out somewhere together, hm?"

"Yeah, it would!" Len responded back, looking at Rin who nodded in unison. "What are they even doing right now though? Does Miku know about our new last name?" It was still exciting for them to be newly named, and Rin was eager to finally preform with Miku professionally.

"They're at home, practicing obviously." He chuckled, facing the wheel now. "Let's go and join them! Besides, I think it's my turn to cook dinner.."

"Can we help?" They both said, smiling brightly now.

"Of course!" KAITO started driving, now moving forward to the house.