The Enemy of My Enemy Is My Friend

After everyone took their positions, the sharp whistle echoed through the arena, signaling the start. Swiftly, I moved forward and delivered a punch before my opponent could react. Sorry lady, but the gap between core formation and astral refinement is just too significant. She flew off the stage like a ragdoll, crashing into the ground and rolling a few times. Someone rushed over with a pill as I left, and the judge noted something on his paper.

Back in my seat, Nicholas gave me a thumbs up. "That was perfect. She just went flying, and you were standing where she was."

I shrugged. "I just punched her," then reclined, waiting for my next turn.

The next two matches followed the same pattern. No one could withstand the assault before being sent flying off the stage. The third match paired me with an early-stage, core formation practitioner from the Sun sect, resulting in my defeat. Despite putting up a short fight, he outclassed me in combat experience at the core formation realm and overall stats.

After the competition concluded, I secured the 7th position, aligning perfectly with my goals.

The patriarch of the Blood Moon sect and the matriarch of the Twin Moon sect, accompanied by Kedron (5th place) and Luna (8th place), ascended the stage. I was surprised that the matriarch seemed to be only at the peak of core formation, considering all other sect leaders I'd heard of were in the supreme attainment realm.

The two sect leaders stood on the center stage, while their direct disciples positioned themselves behind and to the side. Kedron wore a smirk, while Luna maintained her indifferent expression.

"Quiet!" roared the Blood Moon patriarch, silencing the arena.

"We have an announcement to make, but first, let's announce the top 10 and the corresponding prizes. Rank 1 receives 3 grade 5 stones, a grade 5 weapon,

...

Rank 4-10 will receive a grade 5 stone and a grade 4 weapon. If you are to receive a prize, it will be at the table of your corresponding sect on your way out. Now for the announcement."

Whatever this is, it must be important to be announced at the same time as the prizes.

"I am happy to announce that my direct disciple will be marrying the matriarch of the Twin Moon sect's direct disciple, Luna Callista."

The crowd erupted in conversation. I shifted my gaze from the patriarch to Luna.

Her icy demeanor cracked, revealing shock mixed with seething hatred as she looked in horror at the matriarch and the smug Kedron. The icy mask returned, but the intensity of her emotions lingered.

Interesting. It seems she wants Kedron dead even more than I do. And her disdain extends to the sect leaders. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Besides, helping her could prove beneficial; being owed a favor by a genius is never a bad thing.

A slight smile curved my lips involuntarily. Kedron has already bitten off more than he can chew; he shouldn't have been so greedy as to do it again.

Listening to the crowd's discussions revealed three main topics. Some expressed pity for Luna for being matched with someone as cruel as Kedron, while others were jealous of Kedron for marrying the goddess. A third category fell into both sentiments.

"Quiet down; I know everyone is happy," commanded the patriarch, restoring silence.

"This marriage will take place in 2 months at the Blood Moon sect's great hall. All disciples of the two involved sects are invited, and we extend invitations to the core disciples and above of the Sun sect. Thank you; that is all."