Chapter 5: Breaking the News and a New life

It takes a few days for our son to want to finish the story. I understood completely. It's not easy to learn how your dad died so I just let him process and take his time to get to where he was now. He asks for the next chapter at bed time that night and I nod, grabbing the book and sitting down to read it to him.

Chapter 5: Breaking the News

She took a deep breath and knocked on the door of Gareth's house where she knew the rest of hellfire would be. She had broken the piece of her arm that formed her shoulder joint so she had surgery and a sling, but today was Gareth's last day in town so she needed to tell them in person while they were all together.

Mr. Emerson opened the door and smiled, "He's in his room with the others." He said letting her in and going back to what he was doing.

She walked to Gareth's room and knocked on the door before walking in, "Hey guys." she said softly. "I need to talk to you.

"Holy shit. You're ok." Gareth said, sounding relieved. "Where's Eddie? Is he ok?" Gareth was worried especially after he gave up Dustin, but her standing in front of them had to mean that they're all ok.

"So we all know that Eddie didn't kill Chrissy." She started slowly, explaining everything that happened over the last week. Starting at the beginning and going until Eddie played master of puppets, "We were supposed to leave that place once the bats started coming in, but Eddie cut the rope and ran out of the trailer. He...he was attacked and when I found him he was hurt so bad. He didn't make it and I couldn't bring him back." She said as she wiped her eyes as her voice cracked. She was trying to stay strong for the guys. "I held him in my arms as he died. It was...quiet. He could barely speak when he asked me to say I loved him."

Jeff just stared at her his eyes quickly losing focus; he didn't respond or move. He couldn't believe Eddie was dead; to him there was no way someone larger than life could die quietly. The world should've stopped or...or something. Anything. He flinched at Gareth's tone when the other curly haired guy spoke.

Gareth stared at her as she talked before shaking his head, "No. he's not dead. You're mistaken." his tone sharp, angry, and holding pure denial. "I don't know why you're lying, but it's not funny." when he used her whole name her body jerked like he had slapped her. "Eddie isn't dead. He...He can't be." When she reached for the drummer he hit her hand away. "Eddie didn't die. Not like that. Not at all."

"I checked. I had Harrington check. Gare, I'm sorry." She said quietly and the drummer sat down running a hand through his hair before he picked up the dragon statue on his bedside table and chucked it at the wall.

"My best friend can't be dead!" he yelled before he sank to the floor and pulled his legs up to his chest before hugging them. "Leave." He says weakly, barely holding it together.

She stood and walked out to her car before she climbed in and sobbed leaning against the wheel as she did. She didn't know what she was going to do. It was so hard to breathe let alone exist right now. She had lost her soulmate and now she was losing herself. She wasn't sure how long she sat there before driving back to the trailer where they had spent their last night together. Eddie's room wasn't destroyed by the gate so she went through the second door and began cleaning things out to take with her to Steve's house. She couldn't just leave his things there since it was all she had left now.

She heard Wayne's truck and stepped out onto the porch just waiting for him to get out. What she didn't expect is the gruff old man to hug her tightly as if he didn't need any comfort and she needed it all. She hugged back as best she could with her shoulder messed up and buried her face in his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry, Wayne." She sobbed holding onto him as she felt weak and like she would pass out any second. She wasn't sure if the pain she was feeling was in her head or if her body was having a physical reaction to her heart being broken, but her whole body hurt.