Chapter 6: The Graduation and The End

May 10, 2003

"Mom. Steve." he said as he came up and sat down by me at the table. "I'm nervous." He says as he looks at us. He was always so confident so this was surprising to me.

"What is it, sweetheart?" I ask, taking his hand with a soft smile. I was worried about him, but knew he'd be ok. The first 5 years of his life were hard because I was terrified the Upside Down was going to come back, but apparently they really got him in '86.

"Higgins has given me trouble for 4 years. What if he doesn't let me graduate today?" he asks, looking at them both. He doesn't know why he wouldn't be able to graduate, but it constantly worried him because he's the first blood Munson to graduate as he's been so kindly reminded by Higgins.

"He's been the principal for 20 years. He's ancient."Steve says softly. "You have had straight A's the entire 4 years so there's no reason why you shouldn't graduate."

"He's right. He legally cannot hold you back." I say brushing his hair back gently. I became a lawyer after I graduated and started helping the people of Hawkins despite hating them for what they did to Eddie. "If he tries I'll sue him."

He laughs softly and nods, "Ok..I'm going to change and then we can head to the high school." He says before going upstairs.

When he was 13 I gave him his dad's guitar pick necklace. What he really wanted was his Dad's vest, but I hadn't been ready to let go of it. When he was 15 I gave him his dad's rings which he never wore. When he was 16 I gave him Eddie's guitar. Now that he turned 18 I gave him Eddie's vest. I could see him from our spot on the bleachers wearing it on the outside of his robes. Robin, Gareth, Jeff, and Grant were sitting by us with smiles on their faces.

From behind he reminds me of Eddie because he has his curls and build. He looked so much like him it made my heart ache. The only thing he got from me was my eyes and mouth. His personality was something unique to him. I knew it was going to be a kicker when he turned and gave me a thumbs up before going up to make his speech. Being Valedictorian was a huge deal and made me more than a little bit proud.

"Hey everyone. For those of you who don't know me, my name is Eddie Munson. I am the first male Munson to graduate in a few generations. My dad and namesake would've been the first 17 years ago." He says looking at everyone. "My entire highschool career I heard from my teachers and Higgins that I wouldn't make it. That I was just another junior that would take after my grandfather and father. I'm supposed to talk about how great this school is and how wonderful my school career was, but in truth this school, and town, is terrible." He walks away from the podium and gets back in line.

I smiled and shook my head with a small laugh. He looked back at us when Steve and Robin cheered for him. I waved before looking at Higgins' face. It was red, angry, and he made an angry gesture to someone who started calling people. When they got to him they used his full name; probably to intimidate him.

"Edward Dustin Munson." The woman calls.

Eddie jr walked up on the stage, took his diploma, and flipped Higgins off before walking off. We didn't stay after that; there wasn't any point to staying. We all headed back to Steve's house and ate and drank.

It was an hour later when he stood and cleared his throat, "When I was 15 I found my mom's letters she wrote to my dad. I was nosey and read them. I took bits and pieces from them and created a song that I want to perform for you guys."

He sat at the piano and began playing, "Don't go tonight. Stay here one more time. Remind me what it's like. And let's fall in love one more time. I need you, now, by my side. It tears me up when you turn me down. I'm begging, please just stick around."

"I'm sorry, don't leave me, I want you here with me. I know that your love is gone. I can't breathe, I'm so weak, I know this isn't easy. Don't tell me that your love is gone; That your love is gone." He sings softly causing tears to run down my cheeks. "Don't tell me that your love is gone; That your love is gone."

"I'm sorry, don't leave me, I want you here with me. I know that your love is gone. I can't breathe, I'm so weak, I know this isn't easy. Don't tell me that your love is gone; That your love is gone." He sings this repeat passionately and then quiets down again as he sings. He keeps playing as he drags out the word gone, "That your love is gone."

"I can't breathe. I'm so weak. I know this isn't easy. Don't tell me that your love is gone. That your love is gone." He sings slowly as he finishes playing. He stands as everyone claps.

I walk to him and hug him tightly, "Thank you sweetheart. It was beautiful." I say quietly and sniffle when he hugs me back.

"I love you, mama. Thank you for being my mom. You could've given me up or worse, but you kept me and raised me so thank you so much." He says softly.

"Oh baby. Neither of those were an option to me. I'm honored you're my son." She says kissing his cheek gently. "You're getting too tall."

"You're just short, mama." He says with a chuckle as his girlfriend shows up. He kisses his mom's head before going to his girlfriend.

After the party settled into a game of DnD I went upstairs and began to write a letter to Eddie. Something I hadn't done in a few years.

Hey Eddie,

Our son graduated today. He wore your vest and necklace before flipping Higgins off and we were all proud. He became Valedictorian. Top of his class. He proved to this damn town what I already knew. Munson men are capable of great things. I miss you so much, but I have a lot of things I still need to do here. Ed has a girlfriend and she's adorable. She's like 5'2 with blonde hair and green eyes. Her name is Alicia. You'd have liked her. She body checked Andy's kid for being a bully and bullying Ed. Steve plays DnD now and so does Robin. Gareth is our son's godfather. The CC boys are good; Grant became a plumber, Jeff is a locksmith, and Gareth is a bartender musician. I gave him your lyrics. He's gonna make it big one day, I just know it.

I am a lawyer now. I had just started classes last time I wrote to you, but I made it. I think it's time for a change, but I'll have to take Harrington. All he has is me, Robin, and Ed. Robin lives in Indianapolis with her girlfriend Sarah. They're really happy and they're having a baby soon. I just wanted to update you on what's been going on here.

I'll never be able to express how much you mean to me. Thank you for accepting me into Hellfire and it was a real treat baby. I'll see you when I see you. I love you. ~Yours forever