𝟎𝟎𝟒. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

THE LOSS OF A FATHER
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter four, pre Gilmore Girls

November 30th, 1989

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ LUKE'S POV ]

MY FATHER DIED TODAY.

     I knew he would. It was inevitable.

     He's been sick for the last two years. In and out of hospitals, constantly sick and tired.

It was difficult to watch my father slowly lose himself, slowly lose his charm and smiles. It was difficult to watch my father die in front of me, his eyes closing slowly as the horrifying beeping noise comes to a sudden end thanks to the nurse in the room who stands with her head turned down.

My father is dead.

I knew the day would come but some part of me still didn't expect him to die.

I'm twenty-five years old, head in my hands in Stars Hollow hospital. I'm alone, mainly because I didn't want Lucy to be here. I know I'd have to tell her soon but I knew I had to grieve alone for a second.

After my father collapsed, I called Patty to come and watch Lucy. I know Lucy is probably worried about her grandfather, especially since he collapsed while he was playing with her. I hate that she will remember her grandpa falling down in front of her, his hand clutching his chest in pain and— God, when she screamed for me to come into the living room, my heart hurt.

She was crying when I left her with Patty but Patty assured me that she'd watch her until I get back. She even chose to call Adelaide— Well, Adelaide's mother— to invite her over so Lucy can be with her "best friend in the entire world" as she says.

I know that she'll be waiting for me to come home. She'll rush to the door like she does every time I have to work and she'll jump into my arms, demanding that I hug her, and I will because she's the reason for my happiness every single day.

However, after the hug, I'll have to tell my daughter that her grandfather is dead.

She's too young to know about death. She's too young to understand it even if she is the smartest kid I know. She won't understand that her grandpa will not be coming back to the house.

Explaining this situation to my daughter is going to break my heart more than it already is.

My father is dead.

The man who was always there for me is gone. He was there when Mom died. He was there at every softball game I had in high school. He was there when me and the track-and-field team made it to the state finals three times, winning twice. He was there when Lucy was brought into my life. He was there for her first birthday. He was there when she started her first day of preschool, something that brought more tears to my eyes than hers. He was there every single time I struggled. And now he's gone.