Chapter 9

Diya's P.O.V

I. Am. EXHAUSTED!!! Chaos says we should just continue looking out, and get the mission done quickly. But I wanna rest!! I don't like walking for 8 hours straight!!! He keeps saying 'we can't get sidetracked, we have to finish quickly' but he's NEVER in a rush!!!

"Chaos, I'm gonna pass out. I'm DONE searching..." I panted. "Well, I thought you were the productive one, Ms. Rainsong. I'm only getting the job done, as you so politely asked."

...I yelled at him and he knows it.

Chaos somehow looks scarier in his normal form when he's angry... n-not that he's scary of course- he's my friend! Oh wait- we haven't told you what we look like yet... right. Well, you might assume we look like normal, but no! I mean- I look like normal, but Chaos um... well, we all know what he did. He doesn't want anyone to recognize him and say something. Plus, it makes it much harder to help out, if he does.

He looks like a cyan blue hedgehog with messy quills and some in the front, with lime green eyes, wearing a red collared shirt that looks suitable for adventure, dark blue shorts, and white sneakers.

I looked the exact same, except I made my horn disappear. 'Unicorns don't exist', after all.

I sighed in exhaustion, looking around the small market place we had found ourselves wandering in since a few days ago when Diane called us in. We haven't slept... because of Chaos' saltiness. I was a little rude to him when we hit hour 6 on the first day. He kept getting side-tracked and... I might've yelled at him a little.

I'm really sorry!! But he hasn't forgiven me... yet. He always does. As we were walking down the street, I saw this poor man carrying a bunch of apples in a crate- it looked so heavy! Well- for a mortal, I suppose...

I looked over at Chaos, he had an odd look on his face. I must admit, in this form, his emotions are easier to read, yet just as complicated. The man was about to drop the apples and I instinctively rushed forward, grabbing the crate on one side before it fell.

Chaos walked over as I pretended to struggle lifting the crate. Though, as a goddess, I would've been able to lift it myself, I cannot lose my cover. The man sighed, he was wearing a red vest and he had light blue fur, brighter and less vibrant than Chaos'.

He has emerald eyes and a big bushy color-less mustache. It was pure white, just like his giant, bushy eyebrows. He had red shoes with two gold stripes on them. He looked pretty old, to be honest...

The man sighed in relief, "Oh, thank you... you're a life saver." I humbled him, "Oh, me? No, not really, but thank you." I save actual lives, I already know I'm a life saver. He chuckles, "It's not problem... you folks look new around here. You have a place to stay?" Chaos let me do the talking. "Oh, no... unfortunately not."

The man frowned a little, putting his index finger to his chin while thinking, but then snapped his fingers to conclude his thought process. That was like his light bulb, I suppose. Y'know how people-? Never mind, you get it. "Hey, why don't you two stay with me? I have some extra room." Chaos was hesitant, "Oh, well, I don't know-" "Yes. Please. We would love to."

I nudged Chaos and the man chuckled, "Alright then! Let's head on over now. I got the crate now, thanks to your help." I giggled to show my gratitude for the compliment. "Oh, you're welcome! My friend here helped out a bit too, he's not a big talker." I lied, only because I knew that if Chaos said something, it wouldn't be good.

The hedgehog nodded in understanding, "Ah. Well, I hope we get along anyhow. I'm Chuck, by the way." Have I heard that name before..? "Oh- I'm Diya and my friend here is Chris." I introduced, remembering to use his code name. The man softly nodded. "Nice to meet you folks. And thank you both." We both nodded and followed the man to his home.

Chaos' P.O.V

Thanks to Diya we got to stay in a smelly BARN for the night.

Yeaaahhh, I'm soooo thankful.

The sun had already set below the ocean and the two of us were getting settled down... IN A BARN!!!

THERE WAS HAY EVERYWHERE- DO YOU HEAR ME!!?!? A BARN!!!

FOR GAIA'S SAKE, MAN!!!

Diya was off to her side, patting down the hay to make a more comfortable bed while I was doing the same. Unfortunately, all the hay and my disguise caused some kind of allergies to start acting up and I couldn't stop sneezing. "Hey, Chaos, you alright??" Diya asked with a calm tone, I assumed she heard my allergies, she was getting on my last nerve.

"Yeah, I'm fine! No thanks to this gross barn you got us." I snapped, the annoyance in my tone prominent. "Oh really?! At least I GOT us a place!! What's your deal anyways?!" "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, WOMAN!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, turning around to face her, my teeth clenched together as I let out a small growl.

The man Diya befriended earlier peaked his head in through the barn door with a confused expression on his face. "You two kids o-" "PERFECT!!!" We both shouted in unison before glaring at each other again. He gulped quietly and quickly ran off, the two of us having a heated argument.

"I was only trying to do the mission and you kept getting distracted!!" "Oh so that gave you the right to yell at me?!!" "I didn't mean to- IT JUST CAME OUT!!!" "Yeah, sure it did!! Y'know you can never take the blame, can you!?" "I can, I just don't whine about unlike some people!!!" I groaned and turned over, I couldn't face her.

Everything made me think of him and what he did, I felt like breaking down all over again. I didn't WANT to think about him, I didn't want to have this sinking feeling that I should want to FORGIVE someone who hurt me and my friend!!!... But I didn't want anything to happen to him either...

I felt myself getting a bit overwhelmed with everything going on. A silence fell upon the whole area, the wooden beams shifting with the light wind gently. "...Chaos?... Chaos, please answer me." I stayed silent, not making a sound. "...Look... I'm really, REALLY, sorry! I was wrong... Please... I just want you to stop hating me." "...I don't hate you." I don't really hate anyone... not even him.

Diya didn't say a word, but I could hear her getting closer. She sat down next to me and put her hand on my arm, causing me to blush a little. "Is there something on your mind...?" She asked, her voice sounded so soft and angelic, I don't know how I could ever be mad at her... she was like an angel- but 1,000 times better!!! I could listen to her forever and never get tried of hearing her sweet... voice.

My eyes closed at her touch, I felt... all my memories of that day wash away... I sighed peacefully and leaned closer to her. "I don't wanna talk right now, Diya." I said with a soft smile, it was nice having lips with this disguise... Speaking of which- NO!!! Chaos, stop that!! Would it even work anyways?! I mean... my mouth would probably- CUT IT OUT!!!

She giggled a little and put her hands on my head, pulling it onto her lap as she sat there with me. "We good?" "Yeah... we're good~ ♡"