Chapter 6: Jaylee

Dear new cheerleaders out there, when given your first gear, ask for another; one is not enough.

I had to wash my cheerleading uniform before going to bed last night.

"You're finally a Hot Shot cheerleader. I'm happy for you." I meet Mom in the kitchen.

I smile.

She breathes in relief. "You have no idea how much torture it was to hear you go on and on about wanting to be one. It's such a joy that it's over."

My smile disappears, and I roll my eyes.

She giggles.

I grab a banana. "Can you take me to school, mom?" I ask.

"I thought you never wanted me to drive to school anymore and wanted Samantha to only," she says.

"Please, mom," I beg.

"Okay."

"Now," I say.

"So early?"

"Yeah, mom, I'm a cheerleader now. I have to be at school early to meet with the other," I fib.

I was only eager to leave because I didn't want to ride with Samantha after what Amber said.

While I waited for my mom, I texted Samantha.

Already at school; see you around.

I edited the message before sending GM. I'm already at school.

Adding see you around was not a good idea.

***

I arrive at school.

"Goodbye, sweetheart," Mom says as I leave the car.

I gave her a side eye, and she chuckled. I knew she was playing with me.

Samantha replies to my message, Okay, see you around.

I send a thumbs up instead of saying okay and hoping for the three last words to not happen.

The sports teams came to school early, so Amber, Sookie, and the other cheerleaders were arriving as well with their boyfriends.

"Wait on me, Jaylee; we'll walk inside together," Amber shouts from the car as Tristan drives past me to the school parking lot.

I waited.

Amber and Tristan hold hands, leading the way, and I and the others follow from behind. The lowly ones scattered like ants, clearing a path for us as we made our way to the corridor.

We stopped by the locker, as Amber did. I watched Amber and the other couples kiss, feeling left out without a boyfriend. Being around them made me feel like I was missing out. I wanted a boyfriend now as well. Amber said she would help me with anyone I'm interested in. That was a perk of being a Hot Shot cheerleader.

The boyfriends go off, as do some of the cheerleaders. Leaving us four.

I'm here; where are you? Samantha texted me.

Instead of answering her question, I ask, "Where are you?"

I'm about to walk the corridor.

"I have to go to the bathroom." I walk away quickly.

"Hurry, we're waiting on you," says Amber.

I lock myself in one of the bathroom stalls as I get in.

You didn't answer my question. Where are you? Phoebe again texted.

I'm mulling what to say.

Amber sends me out to do something. I can't talk right now. I have a lot of cheerleading duties to do since I'm a newbie, and I don't know if I'll be able to meet up today. I type quickly.

I leer at the phone screen, hoping she believes me.

After waiting for 3 minutes, a text finally comes in.

Okay, I'm not sure if I'll see you around either. That's why I wanted to meet up now. I'll be busy with the chest team, for our big competition is nearing. So later.

Yeah, good luck with the competition. I typed, and I'm jumping in the bathroom, excited.

I feel bad that I lied to her, but it's better than hurting her feelings by telling her we can no longer be friends.

Before exiting, I peeked through the door to ensure Samanth was gone. I glimpse her going upstairs. Her head sadly craned.

Amber and the others were laughing when I got out.

"What happened?" I ask curiously.

"We were just mocking an ugly redhead, that's all," Amber said.

I laugh nervously, hiding how I truly feel about it. The thought of them bullying my best friend hurt.

Amber leans against her locker, swiping through her phone.

"I forgot to tell you this, Jaylee; Saturday I'm having a party. Do you want to come?" she asks.

"Of course," I say, excited.

How can I not? I so badly wanted to go to their popular party and be in their squad.

"Aren't you all excited?" says Sookie.

My face became serious, feigning I was not excited anymore when inside I was screaming.

"Good, the party starts at 8 p.m. and ends at midnight at my home," interjects Amber.

I nod.

As I jot down the time of the party to recollect it, Amber exclaims, "OMG, who is that incredibly attractive guy?"

Curious to see who Amber is talking about, I turn to see, and my mouth falls open in disbelief.

It is Nate about to walk past us in the corridor. He is no longer wearing his nerd glasses or head covered with his hoodie. He wears a dark green long-sleeve shirt that shows off his six-pack and the brawny features of his body. He pulls up the sleeves on his long arm; not enough to reveal his tattoo. His fitted black pants reveal the length of his leg, and dark shoes complement his outfit. He's taller than every guy in the school I've known, and his black hair is low-cut.

His black backpack hung from one of his shoulders, and his gaze kept straight, swaggering past us.

I knew he wasn't a nerd. I say it in my mind.

"He's like a gorgeous male model," says Sookie.

Everyone agrees, nodding their heads.

We continued to watch him as he passed us and made a turn, disappearing from our eyes.

"He must be the new guy here," says Amber, and the other agrees, not knowing he is the same guy I kissed yesterday.

"He's the nerd," I say.

"What?" Amber's attention goes to me followed by the others.

"The guy I kissed yesterday."

They laugh, disagreeing, and I feel as small as they did.

"You kissed a nobody yesterday. Not a hot guy," says Amber.

I could have persuaded them that it was him, but they labeled Nate a nerd when I first kissed him. For them, a nerd will always be a nobody.

"Come, let's get to class," orders Amber.