Chapter 8: Nate

As I've depicted. It would be a piece of cake to get on the Effney High swim team.

The moment I entered Mr. Brimworth's office, the swim team coach. He recognized me, and I was asked to be a part of his team without having to ask.

He is on cloud nine to have me; any school would.

"My sole desire to be a part of your team is to receive a scholarship." Soberly, I say.

"And you will receive that scholarship in full if you bring me home that trophy this year," Brimworth says wildly, with a pounce behind his desk.

It's hard to control his excitement; gaining the one he's confident in will take his team to victory.

Brimworth scurries from his desk to stand at my side. One of his hands touched my right shoulder while bursting with joy, telling me how glad he was that I was part of his team.

I wasn't.

I'm oblivious to whatever else he's saying, lost in my thoughts. I was only there to secure a college scholarship.

"Your former team is coming in second place this year." No longer absent-minded, I hear Brimworth.

"Take second place, Cavalier high!" he yells with a fist.

Immediately, I get up. "I got to go."

"Where are you going? We have practice in 5 minutes," he says.

Without a confirmation, I'd be there. I rush from the office.

Horrid thoughts of my former team members and coach race through my mind, all at once criticizing me for being a stab in the back and a sell-out.

I felt as if I couldn't breathe. I rush to the bathroom to wash my face.

Panting, I study my reflection in the mirror. Water droplets drip from my face, and I breathe slowly, trying to calm down.

After a few minutes, I dried my face and left the bathroom.

Brimworth was happy to see me in the male swimmer's locker room, but the others weren't. One with an unwelcome stare views me with disgust. I assume he's likely the captain.

He huffs before turning his eyes away from me.

The coach introduced the team to me, and I was right. He is the team captain, Lucas Danby.

"Mr. Brimworth, I don't like the idea of him being here," Lucas interjects, folding his hands.

My eyes rake the room, seeing that the other members agreed.

"Who is the leader of this team?" Brimworth is angry.

Lucas glanced at me before answering, feeling ashamed.

"You, sir," he says in a low tone.

"Good," says Brimworth. "Remember your place next time. You're the captain of this team, not the coach. Whoever I put on this team is none of your business," Brimworth yells at everyone.

Their heads are lower in contrite.

"Make sure our new team member feels welcome, and if I see that he is not, one of you will surely be kicked off this team. Got it!"

"Yes, sir," they said, sounding like mumbles.

Brimworth, tap me on the back and say, "Get change and let us showcase your amazing skill at swimming."

I caught Lucas looking at me as he said so with a glare.

There are scowls as Brimworth leaves.

"We trust no sell-out," Lucas stroked me with his shoulder as he walked past me.

The others walk away, displaying scorn.

I toss my bag onto a bench, angry.

"Why do you have to make me do this, mom?" I grumble.

Read more chapters on the GoodNovel App!