Chapter 7: Jaylee

Amber wants us to meet up at the gym during our free session.

I go in to see everyone who is already there.

They sat down while Amber stood before them next to a small whiteboard with a red marker in her hand.

"You're late," Amber says, disappointed.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Dwinkle wanted to talk before class," I explain.

"Try to let us know when you're running late again," Amber says.

I nod and go to sit at the back.

What's written in the marker on the whiteboard intrigues me. Nate Skylar.

Amber sees the bemused expression on my face and, therefore, gives me a brief on what I've missed out on so far. I'm startled that at the first session, they managed to find out who Nate is already. Did they even bother to go to class?

I'm informed that Nate is from Canada and is an excellent swimmer. He was the captain of his swimming team, and his former school is the one that keeps winning our school in the swimming competition.

I wasn't surprised that he's athletic; his sculpted body says so.

"You were right about him, Jaylee; being the nerd, you kissed yesterday," Amber confesses.

I nod, happy for them to see that I wasn't lying.

I'm then surprised to meet Sophia, a brunette, a member with an angry look, directly at me.

"You kiss my future boyfriend," she says as she rises above me.

My eyes widen, and I lean back.

"Calm down, Sophia," says Amber.

Sophia glares at me before sitting back down. I distanced myself enough from her, seeing she was ready to fight me for Nate.

She's crazy, I thought. Nate didn't know her. They weren't even together for her to be fighting me over him.

"What was the kiss like?" Amber asks.

I see Sophia's scowling face before I answer Amber.

"It's Okay."

It's amazing, I wanted to say, but I'm trying to avoid Crazy Sophia from coming at me again.

Amber resumed what she was doing. I'm astonished that I was called here to help Crazy Sophia with Nate. Who says Nate is interested in her? I realized I was jealous. I also wanted Nate for myself.

"I hope you haven't developed any feelings for Nate from that first kiss, Jaylee," says Amber.

"Sophia is dying for him to be his boyfriend, and it is our duty as a team to also help make her dream come true."

Sophia was excited, and they were willing to help her.

"And so, I don't want my girls fighting over a boy. It will not look good on us. So do you have feelings for him?" Amber asks.

"Of course not," I say.

It isn't all lies. Yes, I find him very attractive, and the first kiss we shared made me desire more, but my feelings for him aren't what I expected falling in love to feel like.

Is my expectation of falling in love far from being realistic after watching too many romance movies? And I'm totally in love with him, not knowing.

I had never been in love before, so I didn't know what to think.

"Good." Amber responds and continues on her plan to set Nate up with Sophia.

"Jaylee," my body jerks to Amber calling me.

"Yes."

"Since you're the first to talk to him, I want you to invite him to my party this Friday, and that's where I will come in to make him want Sophia."

I blink nervously.

"I'm not sure if I can do that, Amber," I say.

"Why not? Are you afraid to do so? Amber taunts.

"We got a chicken in our squad," jeers Sookie.

I cast an eye over everyone as they started to laugh at me.

"I'm not a chicken," I say. "But what if he's not interested in coming to the party?" I ask.

"I'm sure he will," Ambers is certain. "If he kisses you without even knowing you, he'll come once you ask. Right now, we have to get him for Sophia before one of the athletics, drama clubs, or any other girl gets him before Sophia does.

I turn to see Sophia's face in fury, and I'm feeling a sense of unsureness if I wanted the plan of getting her and Nate together to be a success.

Sophia rolls her eyes when she catches me staring at her, and I immediately turn away.