Chapter 4: Uncomfortable Interactions

"Uh- hey, Aoyagi. What are you doing here?" Was the best he could come up with.

Toya's smile reached his narrow eyes. "Today's my first day of work. Ken had emailed me during our walk yesterday that he wanted me to come in today and that Shiraishi would show me what's what."

(Sorry for the late update! You'll get 2 chapters today :3)

~~~~~

"Oh that's right! I remember Dad telling me that," An said, tucking her phone underneath her arm slyly. She pushed herself out of her seat and wrapped an arm around Toya's shoulders. "You have so much to learn."

Akito was left speechless in his seat. He rejected his still pretty full coffee and just sat by himself for a while. They were coworkers now. It wasn't very surprising, Akito supposed, since Ken was too nice to reject anyone, but the thought turned over in his head a couple times. He'll be stuck seeing Toya pretty much every day. Great.

The bell of the door rung, and Akito was too preoccupied in his mind to care to turn and look. Behind the counter, Toya was learning the proper technique to tamp an espresso and how to steam milk. Out of the corner of his eye, Shinonome noticed the silent gawking of the customer that came in as she head turned her head from him to Toya and back to him. He ignored her as best as he could.

An looked up from Aoyagi's work to the customer and in a bright voice exclaimed, "Oh, I'm sorry I hadn't seen you. What can I get you started with?"

The customer was giddy. "Hi, I'll get a uh-," they paused looking at the menu. "I'll get whatever BAD DOG has!" An clenched her jaw but kept a smile on her face. Akito noticed the slightest furrow in her brow, the irritation in her eyes.

"Will that be all?"

"Yes, ma'am, that'll be it."

"Your total is ¥670."

The customer rummaged around in their wallet for a moment and handed over the cash.

"Thank you so much. Your drink will be ready in a moment. Go ahead and have a seat wherever you like," An said as she tapped on the screen to input the cash payment. The customer went to sit in a booth close to Akito.

An and Akito exchanged quick glances after the customer had gone to sit, their eyes speaking a thousand words ("That made you as uncomfortable as it made me, right?" "Definitely. That was really weird."). Shiraishi walked back to Aoyagi and said that he'll be learning to make a mocha.

~~~~~

The drink was prepared with ease and placed on a plastic tray, which Toya took over to the table the customer was sat. "Here you go, ma'am, a medium mocha," he said as he placed the cup and coaster on the table.

"Thank you so much," the girl said, reaching an arm out to stop him before he walked away. "Before you leave, I have a question." She said, pushing the drink away from her so she could rest her elbows on the table. "Yes?" He responded, tucking the tray under his arm.

"How long have you known BAD DOG?"

Fuck.

Toya looked at her confused and stammered for a second, trying to find the right words. "Well, um, I only met him recently. Why do you ask?" He questioned.

"Have you not seen the posts? Everyone is talking about you and him. I came to the cafe to see if you would be in the area since it was in so many of the pictures of you guys, and I didn't know you worked here!" she stated plainly as she started to take out her phone. "I was wondering if you could tell me your name! Everyone's been speculating and I wanted to know so I could include it in my next post."