Chapter 20

"Where are we going?" Mina asked, tired of Nayeon taking her to places without saying anything.

"That hill!" Her handmaiden pointed at a hill in the distance, and Mina was sure she'd lost all will to live.

"You're joking." 

"Why would I be? Come on, it'll be worth it in the end!" 

🐧👑🐧

"What is with everyone crowding around?" Mina complained, huffing.

"That's why we need to get a good spot!"

As they walked, people were selling sky lanterns. Nayeon purchased one, before dragging Mina faster.

They finally made it on top of the hill when the sun had almost set.

"It is beautiful..." The princess admitted, as she looked around. She didn't understand why so many people were sitting around, but the spot they were on was isolated. Just them.

"Mhm..." Nayeon hummed, but instead of watching the sky, she was staring at Mina. She was snapped out of it when the princess spoke.

"Paint a portrait, it'll last longer." Through her peripheral vision, Mina could see her handmaiden scrambling to sit straight again.

"Why don't you smile?" Nayeon asked, and Mina was taken aback by the suddenly personal question. 

"I don't like smiling, I've already told you."

"No. I don't believe that. There's more to it, isn't there?" Nayeon wouldn't let go of it.

"Fine, there is. Are you happy now?" Mina muttered, and gasped when her handmaiden took her hands in hers.

"Please tell me. I want to help you."

This felt painfully familiar. Somebody she trusted, requesting the same thing. Mina didn't want it to end in the same way.

"Why do you want to help me anyway?" Mina tried to avoid the question, but she was even more surprised to hear Nayeon's next words.

"Because I love you."

No, no, no, no, no, no. This couldn't be true. Mina refused to accept that.

"Stop lying! No you don't!" She shouted, clenching her fists.

"I do...Why wouldn't I?" The more Nayeon insisted, the more panicked Mina felt.

"No! You deserve better! Not me, of all people!"

"Why not?"

"You don't know what a terrible person I am!" Mina knew what she was about to reveal, but she couldn't stop it. As long as Nayeon didn't say the words...

"What do you mean?"

Shit. The Pandora's box in her mind opened to reveal her biggest secret.

"I watched my family get robbed and didn't do anything!"

🐧👑🐧

Mina was slowly nodding off, when she heard the door creak open. The princess was in the basement, so she thought the person would hurt her. She was wrong.

"You're awake!?" The woman exclaimed, clearly shocked. Ms Red Lips was carrying a heavy bag, and some of it spilled open to reveal...Gold.

"You're stealing?" The princess didn't know how to react. 

"Mina...Be a good girl and keep quiet about this, hm?" 

Her pleading smile disappeared, giving way to a threatening glare when Mina shook her head. That was when the princess saw them. Around the woman's waist.