xv, hug from just a friend

h u g  f r o m  j u s t  a  f r i e n d
venus.

━━━━━━━

"They're looking at us," Grover said. They were surrounded by ambulances, police cars, officers, and people.

"Yeah," Annabeth said, quietly.

"So, we should probably get outta here, don't you think?" Grover asked, Venus stared at the old lady who cut the string of thread with a smile on her face.

"Dude, they're looking right at us," Grover said and the two girls looked at him.

"What?" Annabeth asked and Grover whispered indistinctly and then the two girls looked at the police officers who stared at them.

"Come on, let's go find Percy," Annabeth said.

"Annabeth..." Grover said.

"He's alive," She said, "I know it."

They followed her, yelling Percy's name as the helicopter blades whirred behind them. She was kind of happy that Athena's temple was destroyed. It was what she deserved after not helping us.

They stopped, seeing him jump in from the railing, looking as healthy as ever. Annabeth raised her brows and Percy waved.

"Hi," he said. They walked towards him. "Look, I'm sorry about shoving you in the stairwell. Even hearing myself say that sounds really bad, but I just- I just knew you wouldn't agree, and there wasn't enough time--" he said when Annabeth marched towards him thinking she'd slap him but instead...

She hugged him, taking everyone by surprise.

"Oh!" Venus exclaimed, sharing a look with Grover.

"So, you're not as dead as we'd thought you'd be," Grover said after a long while of silence and Annabeth pulled away confused at her actions.

"Surprise," Percy said, smiling.

"What was that?" Venus whispered as Annabeth walked back to her place.

"What happened?" Grover asked.

"Short version. We need to go to Santa Monica." Percy said.

"What, like now?" Grover asked.

"My father's gonna meet us there. He's gonna help us," Percy said, Venus's eyes widening.

"Well, at least one of us has a present parent figure," she mumbled.

"Okay. Uh, just one problem with this plan. The police think that we crashed the Amtrak train and then did that," Grover said, pointing towards the Athena temple.

"The- the cops are after us?" Percy asked.

"Yeah," Grover said.

"Isn't that gonna make it hard for us to get on a train?" Percy asked. "Or a bus? Or really anything you need tickets for?"