xxi, underworld

u n d e r w o r l d
venus.

━━━━━━━

They arrived in the Underworld and it's exactly how she imagined it would be. Drak, gloomy, thunderous, foggy, and terrorizing. They hid behind huge rocks, looking around to find a place they could go to Hades.

"Grover, hurry up," Annabeth said.

"Not in Kansas," Percy said. 

"What?" Venus asked, looking at him.

"Hey, focus," Annabeth said to him, "we left Kansas four days ago."

"Yeah, no, it's a... never mind," Percy said.

"Guys, is that who I think it is?" Grover asked, squeezing the red ball and making it squeak.

"Charon, the boatman, taking new arrivals across the River Styx," Annabeth said, "which means that over there is the main gate. Let's go. Maybe we can get there first," 

Grover stands up, still squeezing the ball and Venus stops him, "Hey, how about I hold it for now?" She asked. Grover looked at her and then at the ball before handing it to her. They followed Annabeth, pushing past the hundreds of standing dead bodies, apologizing as if they had emotions.

"This seems so wrong," Grover said. 

"Nah, only suckers wait in line. You know, you should really spend some time in the city with me," Percy said. "I think you'd learn a lot," He said and then they all stopped, seeing Charon stand in front of them.

( author: why was Charon so fine though? 🤭 )

"You're not dead," Charon said.

"I mean... we're all dying... to some extent," Percy said. 

"And you didn't pay to cross," He said, closing the crossing. 

"Wait! we- we can pay! We can pay!" Grover said, taking out Drachmas.

"Here. Drachmas. Just take... take, uh... just, you know, take them all," Percy said, reaching his hand forward. Charon raised his whistle and blew on it, creating no sound.

"You can buy a new whistle," Percy said as Venus looked around before they suddenly heard whining of dogs. Charon smirked at them. The whining became growling and thuds. They turned and then ran after seeing the giant three-headed dog.

"Grover!" Percy yelled as one of the heads took Grover in its mouth.

"That way!" Annabeth yelled, pointing and they ran in that direction. fog filled their vision as they heard a loud thud and when they stopped Venus asked.

"Where's Annabeth?"

Percy didn't answer but took out his sword. As the dogs came into view, they whimpered and panted. They saw Annabeth petting them and the dogs slowly laid down, yawning before falling asleep. Grover escaped their mouths and Venus felt grateful that he was alive.

"you... are a bad... bad dog!" Grover said, looking slimy. 

"Guys, I can't hold this forever!" Annabeth yelled.

"Can you fly us up there with your shoes?" Percy asked Grover. 

"I'm not wearing them," He said, still disgusted at the slime.

"I am. I can do it," She nodded. "I think."

"You can do this," Annabeth said. "One at a time, take Grover first."

Venus gulped before holding Grover's slimy hands, "Maia," She said and the shoes started flying them up.  She was trembling as she put Grover on the ground. Then she went to take Percy.