Prologue

Greece is a beautiful country with a vibrant and deep, deep history and culture, it is one of the few reasons that Peggy Hale decided to come to the country. To move here. Her history is woven into the foundations of this country. She wanted to know more. So Greece. It's been a couple of years since she moved out to Greece. And it was a huge change. Alaska to Greece. Peggy stands at a window that overlooks Athens. It's a beautiful view that she has, but she's not in the mood to enjoy it today. She has a lot on her mind. A phone call she has not long hung up is weighing on her mind. She sighs and leans away from the window, the view is not going to help her wrap her head around what she's been told. She was having a nice morning. Basking in the sun on her balcony. She was relaxed. She was calm. And then the phone rang. Ruined her day. Well, hearing from her family never really ruins her day, but the message they bring can sure put a damper on things. She stops at a dresser and tilts her head as she looks over the collection of framed photos on the table next to her, photos of her family from over the years. She has no need to hide them away here. Her apartment is only for her. These are the photos she cherishes. Of the people that she cherishes most in her life. And pride of place, in the centre, is one of her and Rosalie from when they were humans, taken in the early 1930s, the only photo of them as human. Though the one that Peggy has is a copy, the real one was carefully stored years ago. She and Rosalie both have a copy of the photo. A photo to remind them of who they were and where they came from. A reminder of the life they left behind when vampirism was given to them. She misses them so much and every single day she thinks about them. She's been away from them for two years now, and it is the longest she has been away from them since she joined the family. It was due.

After their stay with the Denali coven in the north, Peggy took up an invitation from her father to go to Greece. It wasn't just for her though. It was an invitation given to her half-brother as well. Benjamin. She and Benjamin had only conversed through astral projection in the Underworld, and finally meeting in person was important. They've both been around long now, that it just felt like it was the right time. Her family was on the move and Benjamin was feeling static in Egypt. Perfect timing. There is a photo of her and Benjamin too, the most recent to be added to the table. He went home after a year, missing Tia, but Peggy stayed in Greece. It was the first time she'd been away from her family since the moment she became a vampire, and whilst, yes, she missed them, she did enjoy the freedom as well. A chance to live her way, just to see if her way worked better. It did, for her, but she knows that no one else would understand. Her connection to the natural world and the elements of it, means that she sees feeding from animals differently to her family. She understands their view, she does, but they are perhaps misguided a little. They mean well. But it just doesn't sit as well with her as it does them.

Now she is being called home. She wouldn't think too much of it, Rosalie often asks her to come home, but there was something in Edward's voice. A sliver of worry. He really wants her to come home because he really thinks she's in danger. That he really thinks he messed up. He explained everything. He was in the presence of a tactile telepath and he couldn't do anything to stop him from going through his thoughts and seeing Peggy and what she is. He thinks he has placed her in harm's way. From what he's said, she doesn't think it's his fault. It happened and now he wants her to come home so that they can protect her.