Chapter Two

Peggy sits at the kitchen counter with a mug of warmed blood nestled in her hands, leaning against the side of it the counter, one leg crossed over the other. She and Edward are talking about everything that has led to him calling for her to come home. They had spoken about it over the phone, everything that's happened with Bella, but talking in person brings a bigger sense of comfort. They have both missed each other. And the ease of this friendship. Edward can be a very impulsive person, they all know that, and Peggy can help temper that slightly. Peggy is cynical enough that she makes Edward slow down and think things through. He really could have used her help the last year or so. Physically here to help. She could have slapped some sense into him whenever he thought of doing something impulsive. They might have saved themselves some trouble if Edward had listened to Peggy. If she was here to smack some sense into him. The sound of a truck coming up the drive towards the house distracts the two of them. Edward seems to change, a weight lifted from his shoulders with the arrival of this vehicle. Bella. As soon as Peggy arrived, he's contacted Bella to come over. He couldn't wait to introduce the two of them. He feels like all he has done is talk about them to each other for over a year, and this is a moment he has been waiting for. The two people he loves most in the world coming together. Edward touches Peggy's arm and smiles. A sense of excitement vibrates through him. His best friend and his girlfriend is about to meet. It's the one thing he regrets most about Peggy being away from him. That Peggy and Bella are only just meeting now. So long after he first admitted his feelings for the human. It does take a few moments, but footsteps climb the stairs, slow and steady but there is a nervousness there too. Peggy leans back in her seat and watches the doorway. It is a moment she is curious about. She hasn't seen what Bella looks like, only heard stories from the people she is closest to. It is probably time for her to come up with her own thoughts on the girl. Bella appears in the kitchen doorway, brushing her hair behind her ear. She's nervous. Mostly because Edward didn't tell her why he wanted to see her and recent memory is haunting her. She fears that this is another breakup. But she is more surprised to find the attractive blonde woman sitting at Edward's side. Peggy.

"Hi" Peggy draws out, waving at Bella who stands awkwardly in the doorway. Edward still has his hand on Peggy's arm, an overly familiar touch. He squeezes Peggy's arm and then pulls his hand back.

"Bella, this is Peggy" Edward introduces and realisation crosses Bella's face.

"Heard so much about you" Peggy states with a sly smirk. She has heard a lot about Bella, and Edward talked about her a lot, not always good. He at one point blamed her for everything. In the beginning, anyway. He has since come to talk of her more warmly. Peggy is still slightly unsure of the human girl, it comes out of a place of love and worry for her loved ones. Bella could be the best or worst thing that happens to them. But Peggy assumes that Carlisle took the same risk with each of them. Both those he turned and those he invited into his family. Bella pulls her sleeves over her hands as she glances over Peggy. It was easier for her to understand and accept their friendship for what it was before she knew how utterly gorgeous Peggy actually is. Bella thought Rosalie was beautiful, but Peggy has some charm to her looks that isn't as unsettling as Rosalie's. Actually, Peggy looks more like Jasper than the rest of the family, in the vampire sense. It is very clear that Rosalie and Peggy are sister, biologically sisters. But there is something about Jasper, and Peggy, that sets them slightly apart from the rest of their vampire family. They have a softer, more human, look to them. Edward gives her a little look because Bella is now full on staring at Peggy.

"Right" Bella whispers to herself and then moves closer. "It's nice to finally meet you"

"And you" Peggy assures her warmly. This girl is important to Edward, and he is her best friend, so Peggy will try to get along with her. For him. As long as things play out in which her family is not put at risk because of her. She loves her family, and she will not tolerate a threat against them. Peggy downs the cooling blood from the cup, sets it down and then gives Edward a soft look. "We'll talk more later...." He nods and gives her a warm smile as she stands and heads towards Bella. "Take a walk with me" Peggy tells Bella as she passes her. Bella looks at Edward who gives her a small encouraging nod. He trusts Peggy with Bella. Probably the person he would trust the most with Bella. Bella takes a deep breath and then follows after Peggy. She knows how important Peggy is Edward, and if Peggy doesn't like her, she knows that that might just sway Edward's own opinion. Peggy is that important to him.

"I thought you'd be mad at me," Bella tells Peggy as they head outside into the trees. "After..."

"Whilst I may not have made the same choices as Edward, or agree with them, that doesn't mean I don't respect them" Peggy argues. "And those choices he made might have....not had the desired outcome" Bella nods in agreement. "It's done, and there is nothing that we can do to undo them....being mad at you won't help and it would upset Edward"

"He really cherishes your friendship" Bella offers. "He talks about you all the time..."

"And you're not upset about that?" Peggy asks her, Bella shakes her head with a small smile.

"No" Bella answers. "I mean, I was at first, and when I saw you" She looks at Peggy who smirks a little. "When you start dating someone, the fact that they talk about someone else with as much reverence that Edward talks about you is a little....uncomfortable, and it did take me a while to understand your relationship and it was easier once I knew about.....vampires" Peggy hums a little. "You've been friends for so long...But when...I saw how beautiful you are, well....for a split second"

"Doubt crept in?" Peggy asks, Bella nods. "I know that Carlisle and Esme both hoped that we would...We were the only two without partners and we spent a lot of time together" Peggy hums a little. "But it was never in the cards for us...never" She assures Bella. "You have nothing to worry about"

"I know" Bella agrees. "I know that he loves me...."

"You've been through a lot already" Peggy points out. "He would really have to love you to...you know" Bella lets out a breath, understanding. If Bella meant nothing to Edward, then he wouldn't have risked himself and his family to be with her. Though Bella wishes that hadn't been the case. She never wanted Edward to get hurt, physically or emotionally, for her. Bella takes a deep breath and looks at Peggy.

"Edward said you were in Greece"

"I was" Peggy agrees.

"I thought because of the sun..." Bella starts, Peggy chuckles a little.

"I saw it in your eyes" Peggy stops her. "You noticed that I'm different to my siblings, likely noticed it with Jasper as well" Bella nods. "We are different...." Peggy pauses a little and turns to Bella. "But I don't know you well enough yet to tell you, and if Edward hasn't told you yet...." Peggy glances back at the house to find Edward watching them from the upper levels. There must be a reason that Edward hasn't told Bella about her and Jasper and why they are different to their siblings. It would be a lot to deal with on top of vampires to find out that the gods do actually exist as well.

"It's okay" Bella assures her. "Maybe one day"

"Maybe one day" Peggy agrees and lets out a breath as she turns back to Bella. "I should unpack and get settled...but I look forward to spending some more time with you" Bella nods and then watches as Peggy heads back towards the house. She isn't lying. She has only been back a few hours, which she spent talking with Edward. She would like to get settled into her room. Hoping that she has one. If she doesn't it's not a huge deal, she can just make herself somewhere within the trees close by if need be. Actually, she would prefer it. Not the isolation from her family, but her immersion in the natural world. That is just where she feels the most comfortable and she is grateful that her family take that into account when picking out houses, though their need for isolation from humans is also part of that.