Ch. 3 : Rejection

I knew Lumine was dead. I didn't completely know the story and no one would tell me. It's not that I didn't believe he was dead, just that I refused to believe it.

We were so close to seeing him again. I hadn't seen him in a month ever since I was kidnapped by my mother. I still have no idea who and how it happened and it pains me.

THUMP

I was startled for a second. "Lumine?", I called. I knew that it couldn't have been him but.. part of me believed it could be. I still had a shred of hope; Or was that a shred of denial?

I started to get up when I heard nothing more. I think Sera and Camille said earlier that they were going out to get something, so they should be gone right now right? My legs felt weak but my steps felt powerful. I walked over to the door, gripping the doorknob for support. My heart was racing as I opened it. I can't wait to see him again, even if it is just my mind playing tricks on me. He'll be back soon, I'm sure.

I opened the door and saw a sparkle of white on the corner of the couch. I knew it! I knew he'd..

His necklace . His shiny necklace was hanging, displayed on the wall. It was one of the only things the officers brought back. I walked over and stared. Why would he leave his necklace behind? Wasn't it so precious to him? What a dumb idiot, he should've taken it on his journey.

"We're home!", Camille called. "Oh Kody! You're up! I'm glad to see you moving about!" She looked beside me at Lumine's necklace and smiled.

"Okay we brought some stuff.. mainly for the house but a little something for you too Kody." Camille explained as she set down the grocery bags. She walked over and sat on the couch and placed one of the bags in front of me on the table.

"Go ahead and look inside! I'm sure you'll recognize it!" Camille translated for Sera.

I opened the bag to see a small white cake, vanilla with strawberries on top. This was the cake from the small shop outside Camille's place that Lumine practically dragged us all to once because he saw 'pretty looking bread'. I could still hear him say it. We went inside to look at the 'pretty bread' Lumine saw but he ended up liking this white cake because it was small and cute. We went home and shared it but he ate most of the slices anyway.

I took the cake out of the bag and opened it. I was tempted to call Lumine's name to ask if I could have a piece, because if not, he'll laze around the couch, groaning and saying he's hungry to make me feel bad, like he did last time.

Camille sliced the cake and gave Sera and I a piece on a small plate. They all ate their slices but it was hard for me to even pick at it. Suddenly my stomach was full and I felt sick. I felt a painful ball in my throat and my hands were about to let go of my plate. Camille took it from my hand and set it down quickly. I wanted to go back to our bed and hide again.

"You can have your slice when you're ready Kody, don't worry." Camille closed the lid and took the cake away. I wanted to save a piece for Lumine but I felt too embarrassed to say anything. I ended up taking my plate to our room and staying there for the rest of the day.