Chapter 2

Walking around the city with Halian was always so peaceful and calming

Walking around the city with Halian was always so peaceful and calming. It was very chilly outside, and the snowfall had gotten worse, but they were well equipped for the weather, what with their coats and hats.

Erina was enjoying seeing Hal in his top hat so much. He was so cute in it, especially with the goggles on it.

Halian always loved to make a big stint about how it was improper to use goggles as only an accessory, that they should be worn on a hat only if a person had gone somewhere using vehicle with no windshield, but he tended to forget to take them off himself.

Or so he claimed whenever Erina had pointed it out. But thinking back on it, he'd started forgetting after she'd told him he looks good with them like this.

Her heart ached. It was probably just a coincidence and wishful thinking, but she yearned and couldn't help herself. Just like she was currently yearning to hook her arm around Hal's.

They'd done it before, and it had always made Erina's heart flutter, but she could never tell what Halian thought of it. When asked, he said something about it being pleasant, but something was always off about that tone. And he always tensed up. He never stopped her, though.

Deciding to just go with it, Erina's yearning too much to handle, she pulled her hand out of her pocket just so she could sneak her arm under Hal's, making the man blink at her.

Erina grinned at him, sticking her hand in her pocket again, and Halian smiled back, his cheeks pink. Though they might have already been pink from the cold.

"Where do we go shopping first?" Erina said, energized by their interlocked arms. It was sort of ridiculous, but she didn't care. She was a simple creature, and touching her best friend just sparked joy.

"I suppose the, uh, hardware...store?" Halian said, looking distracted, now definitely blushing, his eyes flicking from the buildings around them to the motorcycles and cars zipping past on the street next to them.

Erina grinned. He was such a cutie.

"Cogs and Nuts, you mean?" she asked, sniggering as she pointed at shop on the far corner of the street. "My favorite supplier."

Halian huffed, turning his nose up. "You only picked them to go to because of the name."

Erina laughed. She sometimes on purpose pronounced the titular cogs as much more cocks than was necessary, just to fluster him. Halian was so adorable when he got all embarrassed.

"It is funnyyyy," Erina said, nudging him with her elbow. "I'm honestly jealous. Could have called my repair business that."

Erina only repaired things occasionally as some extra income because her main occupation was working with Halian for the government, creating his machines, so she hadn't even bothered naming it. But she had been playing around with ideas for a very long time.