005: promises, promises.

~🎀~BIRTHRIGHTSeason three, episode 11(3x11)~🫀~

~🎀~
BIRTHRIGHT
Season three, episode 11
(3x11)
~🫀~

A TRUE SADNESS MET HER ON THE TWENTY-THIRD OF APRIL, 1995, AND IT ONLY BECAME MORE PROMINENT AS WEEKS FOLLOWED. Then, it just stayed. Lucy grew in age and height, she made her way through college and wound up in the academy, and, although she got older, this feeling felt anything but ancient and withered. It was persistent. You would think that when a case became closed, that unfinished feeling would be quenched.

Lucy was sixteen when three teenagers were murdered in Charleston, West Virginia. It was one of those situations where you acknowledged how tragic it was — people around town kept saying things like 'how sad' and 'their poor parents'—but it didn't really effect your everyday life. At least, it didn't effect Lucy's. Nothing really did unless it directly intruded the little bubble she lived in. Lucy believed for a while that everything had went wrong because she didn't think about those kids enough. That maybe the universe would've spared her if Lucy had've displayed some more empathy. She doesn't know what she believes now.

Other than that she was cruel and a lot of people payed the price for it. Lucy was the one spat back into life to burden the outcome. Selfishly, she wished she were one of the dead ones.

But Lucy was well aware that she didn't know how to let go. Of anything, no matter how broken and well past repair it was. She was running out of pockets to carry the fragments—pockets in her mind, in her heart, in the pit of her stomach, her lungs—but she would be damned if she let go. If she allowed herself to forget. Promises were rarely kept—in fact, just about no one had kept their promise to her. And Lucy always had a habit of making ones impossible to keep. The only thing that kept her holding on was this promise, the one unbroken thing from her life before.

It was a wonder she could focus on anything else. But she had always persevered. So much so that the word alone — persevere — awoke a sickly feeling within her. It painted her out to be a brave and courageous soldier, when she felt wounded more than anything.

Maybe some things should stay in the past. But Rossi's joining the team and Penelope getting shot catalysed the overwhelming resurgence of memories one would wish to forget, so switching her focus from everything to a new case became the more difficult.

The trip to Fredericksburg, Virginia was pretty silent, all talk related to their newest case. Lucy would hum in agreement when something was said regarding the case of the missing girls, but currently, she didn't have much to contribute to the discussion. Spencer talked a lot (as he was known for), but she found he was simply reciting things they already knew. She supposed it was his way of thinking over every angle, something Lucy found she did best in silence. They were different like that.

Lucy would notice things a lot —like today, she noticed JJ had a lot plaguing her mind—but she would rarely blurt it out. She took a more methodical approach. Spencer didn't know how to bite his tongue. Generally, if he took notice of something, his eyes would narrow ever so slightly, and, half a second later, his findings would be expressed vocally.