𝟎𝟎𝟔. 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐥𝐮𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐚𝐢

WHEN LUKE MET LORELAI
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter six, pre Gilmore Girls

March 2nd, 1996

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ LUKE'S POV ]

     THE DINER IS PACKED DURING LUNCH which is something I hadn't anticipated.

I'm already panicked and stressed, pacing up and down in frustration as I move from table to table. I'm running on minutes of sleep after staying up all night with a very sick Lucy who insists she doesn't need me to shut down the diner to take care of her, but I'm skeptical to leave her alone.

     I go up every ten minutes to check on her even if I'm with a customer, and even if the diner is bustling with people. However, every time I go up, Lucy is curled up in bed and is sound asleep.

     She has a fever. Her temperature is high, and I believe she has the flu or something similar. I've called the doctor and they told me to keep her rested and hydrated, insisting that she'll be completely fine in a few days but I've never been more panicked.

     She was so pale last night, her body was trembling and the only thing I could do was curl her up in my bed and hope that she falls asleep. I refused to close my eyes in case she stopped breathing or she desperately needed me for something.

     I've never been more scared in my life that something could happen to her.

     I decided this morning that I'm closing the diner early today, and that I will check on her repeatedly throughout the day.

    In fact, I need to check on her in a minute. But I just need to put this order through before I rush off for the millionth time today.

     I rush over to a customer who had placed himself at a table for four, and usually I'm against singles sitting at a table for a family but I didn't have the strength to argue with him. I just need him to order and I need him to order fast.

     "What can I get for you?"

     "Turkey burger on—"

     "Excuse me!" The shrill voice of a woman sounds behind me, catching me completely off guard. She's jabbing her finger at my shoulder, trying her hardest to catch my attention.

     I spin around to face her, coming face to face with wild blue eyes. "I need coffee. Now. I need coffee, like, right now. I need—"

     "Coffee, I heard you." I really don't have the patience to listen to her beg.