Chapter 5: Unknown Meet

(Warning: Blood and some gore shall appear in this chapter)

Abigail’s Alarm went off, waking her very quickly. She jolted up, trying to remember why she set the alarm. Once it dawned on her, she got ready quickly to go near the border of the school. She knew Camellia and Sophia were probably patrolling, so she must be careful. If she got caught, she would break her new friendship with Camellia, and she didn't want that to happen. However, she would know their guards would be up due to today's incidents. 

She opened her door carefully, wearing dark green tights, black shorts, and a loose black baggy t-shirt as camouflage during her outing. She wore dark gray shoes, though they wouldn’t help with running away due to having minimal traction. After getting down to the common area, where everyone would hang out, she looked around carefully, not letting her guard down. She exited the building through the left window in the lounging room. She gently closed the window so it couldn’t give her away later. 

The night air was chilly, and the wind had a bite to it when it blew. She stood there, letting the wind direction blow and watching her breath swirl around. She decided to head west first. That way, if vampires were out, they wouldn’t catch on to her scent. She took a couple of steps before taking off in a swift run. It took her about five minutes to hit the edge of the open ground and the connecting forest. But she still had a long way to go if she wanted to make it to the border. 

She slowed down after entering the woods and weaved through the brush and the leaves. She carefully stepped on the leaves so they wouldn’t make too much sound while trekking through the woods. She was halfway when she felt a shiver go down her spine. She looked around for an accessible tree to climb or a large brush of thorns. She decided to lean against a tree. She grabbed a medium pocket knife hanging on her shorts {The blade was made from silver}. She grabbed and opened it, waiting for her prey to show itself. It didn’t take long for a swift breeze to pass her.

It came back from the other direction. A cold face was just inches away from her own. Its red eyes seem almost black due to it starving. It smiled at her, no longer human or vampire. It crouched down, its mouth widening most horrifically. She heard its jaws crack apart most sickeningly. A large tongue slowly creeped out of its mouth. This creature was known as a ‘Forgotten.’ 

Forgottens were humans who were turned into vampires. Humans usually couldn’t handle the transformation and would slowly lose their original shape. And how to think the Forgottens became more animal-like over time, and their bodies would become more deformed. 

Abigail watched its eyes glisten with pride, and its neck slowly turned in the most inhuman way possible. Its laughs and noises were smoky and hazy, growing louder and louder. Abigail took a step forward towards the creature. The creature didn’t care; it knew it had won, or so it thought. Abigail took a dash forward, stabbing the creature in its heart. The creature screamed the most blood-curdling scream it could muster. Abigail started to remove her blade when the creature leaned forward, biting her arm. 

Abigail held in her scream of pain as she felt the creature's long teeth go all the way through her arm. It bit down even harder, making Abigail start to cry from the pain. She could feel the flesh in her arm start tearing off. Abigail removed her Blade, causing the creature to let go of her arm. The beast started weathering on the ground, crying out. Abigail stumbles back a little, not being able to feel her arm. 

The creature’s eyes went from a horrid black and red to a foggy brown. It stared at her and slowly started turning to ash. “I… I am, h-h-human…” The Forgotten said, croaking slowly, remembering that it was a human. Abigail mustered her brightest smile and replied, “Yes. Yes, you are.”