Part 4

This afternoon during the rainy season, bathed in the warmth that encouraged wearing a comfortable cotton boubou, turned out to be the beginning of an unexpected experience. As I navigated from one office to another to collect the necessary elements for my tasks, a call from my colleague surprised me upon my return to my desk. Intrigued, I called her back, discovering that one of her service providers wanted to connect with me. That's how I went to his office, finding a man in his forties, cheerful, and wearing a broad smile.

Physically, he didn't fit my criteria at all. After introductions made by my colleague, he expressed a desire to get to know me better and asked if that would bother me. His disconcerting self-confidence left me perplexed. He expressed a wish to get my phone number. Caught off guard by the boldness of this individual, I asked for some time to think. Although his appearance wasn't to my liking, I thought I didn't know his qualities. Engaging in a conversation with him could, at least, change my thoughts a bit. I authorized my colleague to give him my number.

As soon as he had my number, he contacted me, suggesting a meeting. Opting for caution, I let him know that I wasn't available immediately, but we could schedule a lunch in the coming weeks. Three weeks later, I found myself owing him a lunch at one of the city's fanciest restaurants. I was not enthusiastic about it because I had very few interactions with men until now, and those were with people I knew well before the relationship evolved into an emotional dimension. This time, it was a complete stranger, forcing me to step out of my comfort zone. Despite my hesitations, I took up the challenge and went to lunch, aware that it committed to nothing.