fifteen

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter fifteen

I gawked at Edwards home like it was the first time I've ever seen a modernized house. Phoenix had plenty of them with large open windows overlooking the mountains but they were only owned by the richest of people there. I felt Edward reach over and squeeze my hand reassuringly as he parked his car in front of the house.

"Ready?" He asked softly.

Honestly? No. I felt like we were about to ask his parents for their blessing — it was easily a heavy overwhelming feeling but Edward expressed beforehand that they're all eager to meet me. Beau passed the test so I guess I could too.

He was at my side of the car in just under a second and opening the door before extending his hand out to me. I couldn't take my eyes off the beauty that was his home. I don't know what I originally expected but it certainly wasn't this.

I quickly fixed my hair by patting it down in hopes of controlling some of my curly frizz. I made sure I didn't over dress or under dress — all though Edward was wearing a button down light blue top with a pair of dark pants. I wore a long sleeved white turtle neck top with a soft creme vest over top, paired with blue jeans and my usual black converse.

I nervously looked at Edward to insist that I was ready to go in but he stopped me by grabbing my fingers carefully and flashing me a warm smile. "You're beautiful."

My brain shortcutted and I awkwardly laughed. "Thank you." I'm going to have to get used to his reassuring and overly romantic compliments at some point.

When we entered the house I audibly gasped while I looked around. "It's so — open. It's full of light — so beautiful."

"You seem shocked," he chuckled. "Expecting dungeons and moats?"

"Well — yeah." I laughed with him then carefully crossed my arms over my chest. "Like the kinds you see in cartoons — bats and cobwebs in every corner. Victorian candles hanging from the wall and an eerie sound every time you walk across the wooden floor."

Edward tried to hide his smile but it continued growing bigger as he rested his hand on my back. "Unfortunately for you, we have none of that. I'm sure you were looking forward to it."

"Hardly," I giggled.

He guided me past the foyer and the living room – which I quickly got a glance through and made a mental note. It looked like a set up from inside of a store — a display so customers could imagine what their home will look like. The future looked brand new and never touched, like hardly anybody ever sat down. There was a TV resting on top of a stand and a large piano in the corner. The walls were mounted with hundreds of books, all spinned and maybe a few picture frames separating them in between.

"I can't believe you guys have this much view of the world." I spoke while he began to guide me up a few stairs.

"Thanks to the tinted windows," he explained before turning around to face me. "It's the one place we never have to hide. We have plenty of privacy and full range to be ourselves — nobody around to bother us."

Suddenly we were interrupted by a ghastly sound of opera coming from upstairs and I watched as Edward rolled his eyes with a look of disappointment. "I told them not to do this."

We walked down the long narrow hallway and I could hear two people having a conversation over the loud music and clanging of knives. I was almost mortified at what I was about to witness.

"Do you think if I ask her how the Denver Broncos are doing she'll know?"

"Emmett, she's not even from Colorado."