forty four

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter forty four

"My fellow students. Cool, hm." Mike was swiftly writing across the parchment paper in his class note book while speaking to himself. Everyone at the table was quiet but also chuckling as he tried to write the "perfect graduation speech known to mankind". Or so he says.

I glanced over at Edward as he sat beside me. His arm was stretched behind my chair and I had my legs stretched out over his lap.

He flashed me a small smile with a flirty wink and I quickly turned my head away before he got spot me blushing.

"Okay, okay. I think I got something good here." He sticks his tongue out as he finishes writing the last sentence. "We are the future — anything is possible if you just believe! Boom."

"Nice." Angela tossed him a thumbs up.

Mike rips the page from his book and hands it to Jessica. She narrows her eyes at him, "No. This will be my speech when I want everyone to throw diplomas at my head." She balled the paper up roughly then chucked it at his head.

Mike grinned. "You gotta embrace the cliches, Jess."

"Just don't make it too long," I shrugged. "Everybody will start to lose interest."

"Yeah but there's only 60 graduates in our class," Amanda pointed out while waving her pen around. "We hold less of a student population than any other town in the US. It has to actually mean something to everyone.

Jess bit down on her lip. "No pressure then."

"Jess doesn't need cliches!" Angela piped up. "Her speech is gonna be epic."

I watched Jessica nod in agreement while shaking a fist in Mike and Eric's general direction. "Epic? It'll change lives."

Alice and Jasper suddenly appeared at the table and made themselves comfortable next to Edward and I.

I couldn't help but eye their tray of food with an arched eyebrow. Alice sent me a warning look — in her own sweet way, like she was scolding one of her siblings.

"So!" She clasped her hands on top of her lap and smiled. "I decided to throw a party."

"After all, how many times we gonna graduate high school?" Jasper agreed.

Edward chuckled beside me and I visibly rolled my eyes between the two of them. Everyone at the table paused mid-conversation and turned to the couple.

"A party? At your place?" Angela softly asked.

"I've never seen your house," Jessica chimed in.

Eric coughed behind his hand to try and make his comment less noticeable. "No one's ever seen their house." I quickly lowered my foot from Edward's lap and kicked Eric in the shin. He shot me a pained what? look but I rolled my eyes in return.

Edward finally spoke up next to me. "Another party, Alice?"

Obviously he was still triggered by the memory of my own birthday party but he seems to forget I nearly died becoming a meal and he left the next day. He's the most dramatic boy i've ever met.