twenty eight

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter twenty eight

I stared at my email, the page blank and the text cursor blinking at me as it waited for me to type something out. My face remained grimed and sullen, my eyes fixated on the blank screen as I tried to find the words to say. Anything to describe what I'm feeling at the moment — anything to vent.

I decided to shut my laptop and completely give up on the idea of writing. Rosalie's email was staring at me right before I closed it and pushed it back against my desk.

She probably muted all my incoming emails or purposely blocked them to avoid receiving them.

She never responded — not once. And part of me was grateful she didn't even though I only sent one once a week, but now I was going on to a full month with no communication.

I looked out my window and watched the snow melt from the rain. January was a week away, the winter formal happening tomorrow and Sunny was counting on me to make an appearance tonight to help decorate.

She got the okay from the principal to keep the school open past five just so she could finish decorating with everyone. A few teachers agreed to stay behind and help. Amanda and Angela would be there too — I don't know who else.

Beau was in his room all alone. Between the both of us the house was mainly quiet except for football nights between Charlie and Billy.

I always choose to remain locked inside my room. Beau on the other hand at least made attempts to go outside, but I knew whenever he told dad he was running an errand, he was just going to the Cullens house to see if they returned.

I would know because I did it too — once.

On a Sunday afternoon in the middle of November I decided to visit the house. It was empty, no cars, no trash — not even a speck of dust left behind.

I went into Edward's room and stood there for a little over an hour, staring out into the balcony as flashes of memories crossed my mind. It was always painful to remember the beginning but somehow going over there was a way for me to remember that it was all real.

My anger at the time slowly began to fade away and I was left with grief trying to mourn the breakup.

Charlie once made a comment that he could've sworn someone died with the way I was silently moving around the house. Beau was somehow taking it a lot better than I was — maybe he accepted things easier or maybe he got a better ending with Edythe than I did.

I looked at the alarm clock next to my bed and dreaded my next choice of action as I decided to finally leave the house for something that wasn't strictly about academics.

But all I managed to change into was a plain blue sweater with a pair of sweatpants and a jacket over top. My hair was thrown into a low ponytail and I forced myself to walk out of the house and enter the real world again.

Almost three months without Edward was the longest but also the easiest when I reminded myself I went seventeen years without him.

He was nothing but a distant memory now. Slowly fading into the back like they always do, never to resurface again until I allow it.