Chapter 1: The critters

"He looks like a slice of bread" the frog whispered to his fairy friend, snickering.

"I quite like bread" The fairy muttered under his breath.

This did not get past the frog as she gave him a disgusted look.

Ignoring the frog, the fairy teetered across the branch to get a better look into the window.

There sat a boy with sand colored hair. The fairy was quite interested in the little boy, as he had never seen a human youngling.

The critters came to that house every summer, but never had they brought a young one, the fairy surmised that the little critter was new.

Behind him the frog gave a loud humph as she hopped away. Seemingly bored by the new events.

The fairy continued to watch the little bread slice until the sun began to set. Waiting until the house lights went out, before he made his way in. Pushing through the ives growing over his entrance, he scampered on his usual path through the place. He made his way to the kitchen for his unique assortment of supplies.

He was the local tradesman after all, although the whole village looked down upon his job. He was quite proud of it. Not any fairy could have a whole network of pathways through the few houses in the valley. Yes, he certainly was a very smart fairy. He smiled to himself as he dodged the rat remnants.

He continued on as he heard the rustling of wind through the open kitchen window. He couldn't dissuade the scoff he let out. As he saw the critters were quite odd if not air headed for leaving the window open yet again, in the middle of a forest.

They were never wary of outside things simply getting in, yet then again he was in there practically every night.

He crept into the cupboard and shifted things around however he pleased, picking and plucking here and there without a care. The house was in such disrepair the critters never noticed things moved.

After stuffing his satchel with the desired nobbits he made his way down the hanging plant.

He decided to visit the young one and give him a small welcome. He glanced around finally seeing what he wanted. He moved to the side table in the room of living, plucking the small yellow flower from the pot.

Convinced his gift was sufficient, he made his way up the stairs. He often chose to refrain from flying when in the house because his wings would shine in the dark making him easily visible. The critters may not notice a lot but they certainly weren't blind.

He finally found the bread boy's room after peeking in many crevices. The room was more worn down than rest of the house. As his eyes caught on the thick drapes in particular, looking ashy. He concluded that, clearly this room was less frequented.

The fairy couldn't stand the musty interior, as the odor of the moist air licked him across the face upon entry.

Nevertheless he slightly held his breath as he slipped in skillfully, shuffling silently as he saw the boy under a blanket, a bright light shining oddly. As the sheet created a boy shaped hill.

He decided that even if the critter was a oddity, he should still have manners. He figured it was something he could do in return for taking so many things.
Carefully the fairy slipped the flower on the nightstand. Leaving immediately as he made his way out of the house.

Exhausted from his job, he couldn't wait to be back in his cozy log.