Chapter 6: the odd day

Dew was ecstatic as could be, flamboyantly approving his own handiwork. "What a dear! What a gem!" He exclaimed, loud enough to surprise the ants outside, on their way to work. As he bent in for, yet another close look at his finished project.

The big wooden bird embedded with shiny fragments of glass was almost as tall as the fairy's hip.

He was very proud of it, but the excitement and bubbly feelings started to fade, as he realized that the project was...truly finished. He did not know what to do now.

He already had multiple things displayed in his log, as he looked over at his overflowing shelves. And much more we're also displayed in his garden, where little wooden figures of miniature rabbits and frogs sat, befriending the plants.

Dew noted that he was starting to lose his remaining ambition. As his desire to work on his hobbies were dwindling as the days passed, leaving him unmotivated and fatigued.

But still Dew looked at the eyes of the bird, and quietly said "I'll find a place for you, big birdy." Having to hug the thing to just move it, he chaotically went in circles, bumping into his work table, bed and doorframe. Before succeeding in moving his prize outside.

Leaving the log, he heard the sound of his crafted chimes whistling notes into the wind. As he had to wait for his eyes to adjust to the midday sun, before continuing his awkward maneuvering with the wooden bird.
The light refracted of the glass fragments, and sent a beam of scorching light directly into his eyes. Causing him to trip over the uneven path to his garden. He barely regained his balance as the bird toppled forward and despite his tight grip on the base, the head of the bird still tipped over landing in another fairy's hands.

In this unexpected position, the round base of the bird in Dews arms and the head of it, in the other fairy's chest and arms, it looked like they were moving the object together. Dew did not like this stranger touching his masterpiece.

Deciding to play his cards, Dew hid his irritation and calmly pulled the bird back into his chest, and with much effort managed to place the bird down.

To say Dew was confused, would be a dire understatement. He was utterly befuddled. No one ever came to his house, it was an unspoken rule that his log was off limits, and every fairy was more than enthusiastic to comply. 'Every one knew that' he thought. But seeing the intruders emotionless powder blue eyes, chocolate brown hair and vibrant clothes of soft grays, blues and green. It was glaringly obvious that the outsider was not from his village.

From the designs on the hems, Dew referenced his former research. And found that it meant this unwanted stranger was from north valley somewhere, or his stuff was. Which could mean this man came a very long way. Dew had already been wary but this revelation raised his apprehension by degrees. The north valley was well-known as a ruthless city. As most uncanny things came from there, they were a metropolis of metal workers.

With his skilled observation, he noticed the hidden daggers and tools strewn across his sides. Proving that he was either a soldier or in the fog business. No fairy would carry so many haphazard tools the way this outsider did. Dew would know, even in his profession he only carried 1 or 2 tools on his trips. Dew was certain this man was no ordinary messenger.

Wiping his hands down on his pants, he proceeded to address the fairy. Who was staring at him with stony expression, but in no rush to say or do anything. Leaving Dew feeling particularly exasperated.

"State your business." Dew demanded as he moved into his garden brushing the bay leaf out of his path, he started moving things around, not wanting the outsider to realize he was intimidated.

From behind him, a low voice said "I have a delivery for Mr. Goppet, that is you I yes?"

Dew continued perusing his garden, to hide his glaring expression of absolute annoyance. Picking up his gardening tools and tossing them in his wheelbarrow, mentally wincing as he slightly injured his lovely sprouting mint leaves.

Drew could tell that the intruder feared nothing. Making him lean towards the conclusion that his latter guess was correct, and this man was indeed in the fog business. His odd mannerisms were giving it away. He had an entirely different aura from Bob, and most fairies were a lot like Bob.

Opting to say silent he simply turned, and gave the man a quizzical look.

After which, the stranger swiftly reached in and pulled a pressed leaf out, the old traditional styled letter was rolled up with a ring bound around the center. Dew felt his heart stop, as he could recognize that ring from miles away.

It was... it couldn't be, turning away, Dew took a deep breath before glancing back again.
To his despair he had not been mistaken, it was his fathers ring. The very one that he used to admire.

He could hear nothing but the loud thumping in his chest, thinking how curious it was for his father to disappear for years. Then suddenly there it laid, a letter with his ring, the one that he never took off. Mocking him as plain as day, as the shine of the ring stared right back.

In his plain state of shock and confusion, Dew, again felt completely and utterly betrayed.